Bought Another Pile

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

I should really stay away from Craigslist. I found two 57 Chevy 210 four doors for 1000 bucks. Figuring it was a decent price on them I drove the 170 miles one way to look at them. The floors were shot but the frame was solid. I bought the cars and hooked up a tow bar to the front of one of the cars. I checked the tires, replaced one, and then went on my merry way home. After 70 miles one of the steer tires blew out on the 57 and I swung into the fast lane on the Interstate. Unfortunately there was a semi passing me in the other lane. I got hit at 65 mph on the driver's side and was pushed an 8th of a mile down the Interstate. Luckily for everyone involved no one was injured and I only sustained some minor scratches and bruises. Needless to say I was quite shaken and will never be using a tow bar again for anything. The truck I was driving was totalled but the car amazingly only got a dent on the hood and a bent hood release out of the deal. After paying 700 bucks in towing fees both vehicles are now safe and sound at my house. I still have to get the other car, that one will be coming home on a car trailer.

4594635523_cdb7f2de31_o.jpg

You are a lucky sob. Glad to hear that no one was hurt. Second good to hear the car survived as well. Makes me think back to all the times we have towed or moved something. Really this could of happened several times. Good reality check when I pick up that next project.

BSW

Thank goodness that '57 wan't really hurt!!! That's why I *always* use a trailer... but as everyone knows I can't hook a trailer up to my truck any more because cars seem to just jump up on it without my knowledge! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Good thing the interior in the truck is brown. :)

As my signature states ............ never drive faster than your angel can fly.

I got a call from the truck driver's wife today. She said the bill came in for the semi, over 11k :eek: She was a real nice lady, said her husband was quite shook up about the whole incident. His inititial thought is that I was just killed. I called into my insurance company, they have to verify that the insurance was switched on the truck before the accident (it was but online). As long as that turns out okay from the sounds of it I won't be on the hook for any damages. I'm crossing my fingers because if they don't cover it I'll be up a certain creek without a paddle.

Glad to hear that youre alright. Good job keeping it on the road. Best of luck with the insurance company. Hope it all works out ok.

Yep. Thank the Lord you're here to talk about it. Might wanna thank the Ford too - I'd say it held up pretty good for ya'.

Got a couple of pictures of the 57 Chevy. I got the parts car safely home a few weeks ago. I used a big diesel Ford and a nearly new car trailer with trailer brakes. Drama free and safe. I'll never use a tow bar for anything again.

4673184352_fae0c11c19_b.jpg

4673184578_09946270d5_b.jpg

I located a cheap 305 V-8 I can throw in. A friend of mine has it in a trashed Pontiac and all he wants for it is scrap price. The seized Powerpak 283 will probably be unsiezed and sold off. Hopefully the Powerglide trans is okay in one of the two cars. The better of the two cars needs some major floor pan work but the body mounts appear to be solid along with the frame. The same can not be said of the parts car, the frame is pretty rotted and the mounts are junk, guess that is why it is a parts car.

Got one of those old fellas living a few doors down...It's a "150" trim car with LOTS of cheese, tho.:(

Glad you got 'em home and you're still able to enjoy 'em, that's the most important part!:)

Your plans for it sound good, keep us posted.;)[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back