Bought Car 52 yesterday.... NEVER trust a garage!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Well I bought car #52 yesterday...
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
For $500!!!! NOTHING wrong with it!!!
Check out the photos at the bottom of the page..

One word of advice to you all....
NEVER trust a garage you don't know!!!

OK.. Here'e the story if you're interested

Found the Jeep on Craigslist, said it needed a radiator, I went and looked at it (it was at a garage)

Garage where the Jeep was parked said that it needed a fan, radiator, and lower radiator hose..
They said the electric fan broke, and that caused it to overheat and blow the radiator and lower hose

So I went and picked all those parts up and drove the Jeep across the street into a Books-a-Million
parking lot to repair it... I noticed the fan was un plugged, so just for giggles I took some wire and
jumped it over to the battery, and it worked.. they said it needed a new one.. hummm #1

SO.. I look at the lower hose, and can't find where it was split, so I decided to fill the radiator to see
where the leak in that was, and it was 3/4 full.. if the lower hose had burst it should have drained out...
hummmm #2

Look around and did not see a leak in the radiator... hummm #3

Jeeps have a bleeder for the coolant at the high point in the system, so I cracked that and let a bunch of
air out and topped off the radiator and overflow tank.. Then I drove it around the parking lot for 20 min,
and then let it sit and idle for 20 min and the temp never went over 205.. and I saw no leaks
WTF...

The guy had said the upper radiator hose split and he replaced it himself, I am thinking that's when his problems
started, I'm guessing that he did not bleed the air out of the system with the bleeder, which caused an
air pocket in the system causing it to overheat and boil over.. he then towed it to the garage...
That tried to SCREW him!!!!

I drove it home, and drove it to work today... no leaks and no overheating, the thing is nice
Nice Leather heated seats, dual zone automatic temp control, sunroof/moonroof,
Jeep 10 disk CD changer, memory seats, towing package, etc...
also that V8 is pretty quick, and it's got a 5speed auto in it...

Not a bad deal for $500... to bad I spent another 240 in parts that I didn't need.. GRRRRRR

WJ1.jpg

WJ3.jpg

WJI.jpg

WJ2.jpg

Wanna make a quick $ 100?? :D Man, that thing is gorgeous. You got the deal of the century. Take back the stuff you don't need, that should be no problem.

Isn't it funny how a "professional garage" can diagnose something so far off base? Oh well, one mans gain is another man's loss sometimes. :cool:

I've got an older Jeep Commanche pickup (84) they are really very good vehicles . You are gonna love your newer one.

Don

Good deal no doubt....but now you got me thinking (and that can be a bad thing)........car #52. I'm almost afraid to sit down and take inventory of how many I've had over the years.....or do you mean you own 52 cars now at the same time? If that's the case you have me beaten my a mile...the most I've ever owned at one time was 6 running and 7 non running / project vehicles. Come to think about it Jeff Foxworthy might have been refering to me when he did his comedy routine

In either case one heck of a good catch!!!

lol.. No Ron, it's car number 52 in the 19 years or so that I've been driving..

I only have 5 right now.. only 3 are drivable and on the road right now,
but the 47 Dodge is getting there :D

Why did you make me start thinking

I had to do this...just because you got me thinking, and I said that can be a dangerous.

1965 Impala 4 door
1966 Nova 2 door sedan
1968 Bel Air 2 door fast back
1962 Nova 4 door
1964 Chevelle 2 door Coupe
1966 Chevelle 2 door Coupe
1970 Hornet 2 door
1967 Buick Le Sabre 4 door
1974 Vega
1978 Pontiac Phoenix
1967 Nova 2 door sedan
1966 Nova SS Coupe
1967 Buick Wildcat
1973 Buick Le Sabre
1980 Pontiac Sun Bird(?)
1978 Monza Wagon
1967 Nova 4 door
1967 Thunderbird
1964 Falcon Sprint Convertable
1965 Falcon Convertable
1967 Pontiac Le Mans Convertable
1966 Pontiac GTO
1984 Fiero
1986 Fiero
1986 Fiero GT
1982 Dodge Daytona
1967 Nova 2 door coupe
1964 Ford Pick Up
1978 Ford Van
1972 Ford Pick Up
1948 Chevy Pick Up
1959 Chevy Apache Pick Up
1984 GMC Suburban
1977 Chevy Pick Up
1985 Chevy Suburban
1995 Ford Windstar
1985 Ford Ranger
1998 Chevy S-10
1934 Studebaker Dictator
1939 Plymouth 2 Door Sedan
1992 Chevy Lumina
1995 Corsica
1953 Buick 2 Door
1961 Dodge Polara
1968 El Camino
1969 El Camino SS
1972 El Camino
1978 Nova 2 Door
1959 Edsal Villager Wagon
1950 Studebaker Starlight
1960 Studebaker Lark
1928 Chevy 2 Door Sedan
1927 Ford Model T Coupe
1940 Ford Tudor Sedan
1940 Studebaker Commander
1947 Studebaker M15 Truck
1972 BMW 2002
1937 Studebaker Dictator
1956 Packard Clipper 2 Door
1989 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1994 Chevy Caprice Cop Car
1984 Chevy Wagon "Battle Cruiser"
1997 Pontiac Grand Am

These are what I could come up with off the top of my head (63 if I counted these right) and they aren't in the correct order of ownership. I know there were a couple that I missed and I didn't include the Corvair I paid $200 for and on the way home a guy offered me $500 to drop it off at his house. I also didn't include the circle track race cars in this list (there were only 3 of them).

Dang Blue...now my brain hurts wondering which ones I missed, and my butt hurts from the kicking I'm giving myself for selling some of them. Now if I'd be smart I'd print a copy of this and save it for future referrence so I wouldn't have to do this again....problem is nobody ever accused me of being smart:rolleyes:

Wow! Unbelievable deal! You should be able to drive that one for a while and still sell it for a huge profit. Great score.

Latest posts

Back