Brake question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny

On my friends recently traded for hot rod . The guy who built it used mustang rear calipers on the front wheels and on the back wheels too. The brake pedal is like a rock, no brakes at all. any suggestions for a solution thanks Denny

power? manual?

If manual, the master cylinder bore may be too large. Mismatched masters to calipers are common when "building".
Hard pedals with power master cylinders are usually booster problems. Vac lines open? Hoses can collapse internally.

I'm no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. Good Luck

Rear calipers on the front?

That is most likely the issue. In most cases 80% of braking is done with the front brakes, rear brakes/calipers (wheel cylinders too) are generally smaller. Given that disc brakes are more efficient than drums, disc brake calipers are more exaggerated.

Changing the master cylinder to a smaller bore and the pedal ratio to provide more leverage against the system may help the situation. Without a proper knowledge of the parts being combined, your bud is just guessing.

Brakes and steering are the two most important elements in a car, don't screw around.

I don't see where having a rear caliper on the front

would cause any issues other than how they mount...as I've never seen it done, (since a number of rear calipers are actually the ebrakes) brake pressure is or should be determined by the master cylinder and the proporting valve and or residual valves if so equipped....hard pedal could be caused by (as said) a power booster with no vacuum signal or ruptured diaphram...or, something within the system restricting the fluid...but this should cause the brakes to be locked up or at least dragging....
I'd be curious to see how this system is set up...pics would certainly help us see the who, what, when where and how of this issue....JMHO....

Latest posts

Back