budget frame build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imthegrt1

as build time grows closer... time for some question?
building budget frame
choices...
1.80's s-10 frame
2.80's ranger frame
3.build from scratch frame
which have most you used and which has cost the less with the easiest mucking up to a truck cab.30's-40's cab not decided on what let

build a frame, it's not that tough if you can weld. An IFS frame ALWAYS looks like crap. not much cheaper by the time you are done buying suspension, but worth it.

Build your own from scratch. You'll need a good 220V MIG but you can design it the way you want to and build it for cheap. This was my first frame build and it cost me about $250 in steel. Wasn't difficult at all.

I'm getting ready to build a frame too. 2.3 that is a really nice looking frame. I really like how you did the front torque boxes for your rear suspension. What are you mounting on it?

as build time grows closer... time for some question?
building budget frame
choices...
1.80's s-10 frame
2.80's ranger frame
3.build from scratch frame
which have most you used and which has cost the less with the easiest mucking up to a truck cab.30's-40's cab not decided on what let

I thought the same thoughts as you...I ended up getting an S10 frame and running gear too...I wanted something that was interstate roadway friendly and autoparts store friendly...hand built frames with all those custom pieced together parts are not cool on the highways (if they break down)...NAPA auto parts stores don't carry parts for them...Also I am dumb as dirt when it comes to setting up front ends and rear ends....you have all that angle of the dangle stuff...
If you want something just for around town having fun with then build your own stuff....it will look cool for sure...everybody wants to look at fenderless stuff...build all the stuff yourself...you will learn tons too....
Just my smelly old 2 cents...

MikeC

^ 2.3 man that looks great for your first build give some details on the frame

OK.........I built the frame on this. It's actually a custom king sized bed frame that someone gave to me. Made a couple of mods and bingo........frame table!

The frames made outta 2" x 3"x .125 wall rectangular tubing. The X portion is 2" square tubing and I used some 2-5/8" pipe that we use for railings at work to fab the front crossmember.

The front spring perch is made from an old, small 1/4" steel door that I found in the dumpster at work.

The frame is Z'd 3" in the front and 18" out back. Front torsion bar mounts are 3/16" steel plate (more dumpster diving treasure) with $2.99 Speedway shock buttons welded in to give me the 7* of taper needed for tie rod ends.

Rear bars are mounted with 3/16" plate also. They've since been gusseted too.

I thought the same thoughts as you...I ended up getting an S10 frame and running gear too...I wanted something that was interstate roadway friendly and autoparts store friendly...hand built frames with all those custom pieced together parts are not cool on the highways (if they break down)...NAPA auto parts stores don't carry parts for them...Also I am dumb as dirt when it comes to setting up front ends and rear ends....you have all that angle of the dangle stuff...
If you want something just for around town having fun with then build your own stuff....it will look cool for sure...everybody wants to look at fenderless stuff...build all the stuff yourself...you will learn tons too....
Just my smelly old 2 cents...

MikeC

There's nothing on my front end that can't be bought at a good parts store. I have suicide front suspension with a aftermarket drop tube axle. It has metric GM brakes and rotors.

Cool Frame

Nice frame there turbo T. I wanted a easy way to spin a frame and your motor stand idea looks like it works fine.

Thanks

You can build it all from scratch or do what I did, chop what I didn't need off of the old frame and use it. Of course, my frame had zero rust on it. I kinda over built mine but everything on my car is overbuilt. Stock frame in the front, so it's 2x6x1/4 at its largest point, 2x2x1/4 at its smallest c-channel. The rear is z'd 29" cause of the springs and perches I used, and the crossmembers are 4x4x1/4 I think my frame has about 300 bucks into it but steel is expensive up here. Oh yeah, and the frame I welded with a 110v Lincoln 140pro mig using flux cored wire and straight argon. Just to prove that you can weld a frame with a 110 and not just a 220. Of course, at 1/4" I'm at my max output but the flux cored/argon allows it to burn hotter than regular wire and with practice can look really pretty.

My build thread
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28825

drop axle

I have 1934 1/2 ton p/u front axle I want to use on my truck .Does anyone know what type disc brakes I can use ? Speedway told me they don't have any thing I can use because of 3 1/2 degree camber difference on what they carry and my axle .I ve read on other site that trucks came with different size spindles .Mine look kinda small . Guess maybe mine are light duty if that's possible??? Haven't measured them .The king pin size is .734

frame decisions

You can build it all from scratch or do what I did, chop what I didn't need off of the old frame and use it. Of course, my frame had zero rust on it. I kinda over built mine but everything on my car is overbuilt. Stock frame in the front, so it's 2x6x1/4 at its largest point, 2x2x1/4 at its smallest c-channel. The rear is z'd 29" cause of the springs and perches I used, and the crossmembers are 4x4x1/4 I think my frame has about 300 bucks into it but steel is expensive up here. Oh yeah, and the frame I welded with a 110v Lincoln 140pro mig using flux cored wire and straight argon. Just to prove that you can weld a frame with a 110 and not just a 220. Of course, at 1/4" I'm at my max output but the flux cored/argon allows it to burn hotter than regular wire and with practice can look really pretty.

My build thread
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28825

Could one possible do this to a newer frame? I've got a datsun/toyota chassis that I would like to use. I picked up a wishbone front end too. Just not sure what to do now. The car fits almost perfect on the frame.

Building your own isn't that difficult, and allows you a lot more flexibility (NO pun intended!).

I certainly wouldn't build it until I had the cab in possession though.....

Latest posts

Back