Buick ss

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buickresto ss

Hey everyone I'm starting a father son build with a 1930 Buick 4door sedan and a 95 impala ss as my donor car. I have a visual look on what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm sure a lot of that will be changed as I encounter many things that will not work unless modified to do so. My father knows more than I could imagine so I'm trying to get as much knowledge and opinions on where to start before jump into it. It would obviously be way to easy to just roll the ss drivetrain under the Buick frame and modify it to fit without looking to wide? Measurements will tell but by naked eye I'm sure it's to wide. And I'm not sure if it's possible to cut axles down to fit better or if anyone has possible options on axles/brake systems that may work better

Hey everyone I'm starting a father son build with a 1930 Buick 4door sedan and a 95 impala ss as my donor car. I have a visual look on what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm sure a lot of that will be changed as I encounter many things that will not work unless modified to do so. My father knows more than I could imagine so I'm trying to get as much knowledge and opinions on where to start before jump into it. It would obviously be way to easy to just roll the ss drivetrain under the Buick frame and modify it to fit without looking to wide? Measurements will tell but by naked eye I'm sure it's to wide. And I'm not sure if it's possible to cut axles down to fit better or if anyone has possible options on axles/brake systems that may work better

What you're talking about is a major project. You can't use the full B-body (Impala SS) frame and make it look right unless you completely modify the frame. The SS frame comes out to the rockers, and so that would have to sit under your Buick running boards, likely.

This is what a b-body frame looks like:
IMG_0107.jpg

Your front and rear track widths are also more than likely much too wide for the Buick. It depends on what you want, but in terms of suspension there are much better ways to go to get a good looking car as a finished product. If you're not worried about proportions go for it, but I think some time with a tapemeasure will be the best thing to figure out if it's going to give you what you want.

In addition, the steering box location on the Impala and the suspension location is likely to give you issues with fitting a vintage body like that 30 Buick.

Thanks snowpro.. I believe I'm going to try and redo the Buick frame and make all new mounts will be better than chopping the hell out of the ss frame. I did do some rough measuring and the ss wheel base is 116" and the Buick is 113". The track width on buick is about 59" and the ss is 69" roughly. So the wheel will be out 5" on either side. Not sure what will look like or how they will match but feel like the right tires and rims can help that look out. I would like for the body to sit in between the rear axles if possible. I appreciate your advice

Welcome to RRR.

The Impala front is far too wide and no tire/wheel will cure that. Look for something else and If you're going fenderless, scrap the whole IFS idea completely.

The rear axle might work OK...

Thanks Dr. Any possible ideas on front suspension.. Maybe a C4 corvette front suspension will be able to hook up and be short enough to compensate that width.. They are roughly 61 inches all depending on year, seems much better than 71 thanks.

Let's go back to the beginning... what is your vision and the intended use? Fenders or no fenders? Autocross, street rod, show-and-tell cruiser or pro-touring ratty-type thing?

The more we know, the better we can recommend...

I would like it to be a weekend driver for the most part. Withe look of ratty thing but open to painting body down the road after it is together. I vision the body channeled enough to hide the frame rails while going fender less. I would like for the body to sit in between rear wheels. I guess this is a base idea of what I'm trying to accomplish not exactly but in the ballpark. Thanks to who built it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 36
Fenderless cars look better with a dropped straight axle, I beam or tube. If you were going to run fenders, I'd suggest a Jag IFS, the cradle they are in can bolt in with 4 bolts or can be welded in, and have the Chevy 5 on 4 3/4" lug bolt pattern.

As to the rear, 5" too wide will look like crap no matter the wheel/tire combo. If you want to stay with a GM lug pattern, I'd look for a Camaro or maybe a Nova rear, they should be about the right width for the body.

The SS engine/ trans combo should be a good start. It can be converted to a carb easily, and they make wiring harness for the computer and trans if needed.

Thanks bamamav really appreciate the info of Front suspension and for opinion on the rear. Is it possible to cut the gm rear end down that I have? And I don't have to use a gm lug pattern just trying to utilize as many parts as possible before buying new parts. So basically I should look into one of the front suspensions that you mentioned and for the rear it would probably just be easier to get ford 9" that matches my body if i don't care to switch lug pattern? still have the harness and car still runs and drives thanks again bamamav

I think if you are going to run fenderless you need to run a solid front axle with either hairpins or split wishbones. Also you could possibly the stock frame with a model A style cross member or suicide it. You could also possibly use a Modle A frame, Or build your own.

Speedway Motors has several different front axle possibilities. I would go with a forged I beam or a tube type axle and stay away from the cast ones. There has been a few reports of cast axles breaking. Speedway has complete kits, hub to hub with springs and hairpins, in either Ford or Chevy lug pattern.
The Jag IFS comes under 70's to I think early 90's Jaguars. Usually one or two on Craigslist or the classifieds with blown engines or wrecked. The IRS under them is good for rods, too.

You could possibly narrow the rear you currently have, but you would have to buy aftermarket axles from somebody like Moser. A 9" Ford is a good choice, but getting harder to find anymore. The 8.8" Ford rear from an Explorer is a better choice, lots of them around, good ratio choices, some have Trac lok stock, and most will have disc brakes. Ranger 8.8" will work too, most of them will be drum brakes. I don't know how wide the Buick is, but the 8" Ford is a good rear also, the Maverick is the narrowest, the late 71-73 Mustang will be the widest. Again, they are like the 9", getting harder to find, that's why I recommend looking at the 8.8".

Just my thoughts, I'm sure others can be some help with GM stuff. I'm more Ford oriented myself.

Thanks bamamav you've been a big help with your knowledge. I'm sure my dad will have a better understanding of what combination will be the best route to take. but thank you very much again I have a much better understanding of how to build my front and rearend now. Thanks everyone else for the advice and I hope to start gutten the car today to get a better idea of what I'm getting into with the wood structure.

Well I crashed my ss that was my baby with 50000 so I bought a running and driving one for some of the interior and front clip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
Figured it was easier to buy on then buy a bunch a parts that would of came out to the same price anyways. Was well worth it and now I have what I need to start another project that the insurance company paid for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 17
The next time there's a large car show near you, go to it. Find cars similar to what you want to build, and talk to the guys. Ask what front end they're using, and the width. Ask them the rear end and width. And ask them to sit in it! Rarely will a guy say no. The best way to figure out what you need is to see and talk to guys who have been there and done it.

Narrowing your rear axle can be done, but as Bamamav said you then need to buy axles, and there's the labour or cost involved in narrowing it. You're better off to buy something much closer to your finished needs. That SS axle is 5 on 5 bolt pattern, you're better off getting an axle that is 5x4.75" or 5x4.5" for wheel choices, and that's what the front axles will be.

Honestly, before I start a build I prefer to know exactly what I want the finished product to look like and plan out all the parts. It makes things go quicker and more seamlessly that way. Come up with a solid plan before you do anything else.

Latest posts

Back