build Idea questions for a 29 Essex coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So I have most of a 29 Essex Coupe body. Cowl and rear half. I have 2 model A doors, 2 model A frames, a couple of axles to choose from and an A.D.D. brain. So I was thinking of a 6" - 8" chop (the one in the pic is an 8-10), replacing the header over the windshield with a 35 ford truck header, using my 59 Miniapolis Moline grille and hood (widened to fit the cowl and the grill laid back to match the windsield rake) and dropping in my fresh 454 with a th400, et slots with et spoke (gasser style) front wheels, pie crust slicks and see if I can score a hilborn style injection.

So question is:
A: modify a Model A frame
B: build a ladder tube frame (ala Bonehead style)
C:48 ford axle, stock A axle or dropped A axle (I have one of each)
D: split wish bones or hair pins

Opinions are welcome! I have a thick skin too![cl

My coupe body
29essex2.jpg

My extra 35 ford cab parts
cabs015.jpg

An idea of what it would look like. I pulled this of the pork site. not quite as much chop, different wheels and hood
29essex1.jpg

My rendering (No proffessional artistry skills here!)
29Essexdrawing.jpg

My tractor grille that would be laid back and the center remade out of sheet metal NOT cast iron!:eek:
50truck002.jpg

Great body style to work with. Personally I think if the windshield is laid back too far it looks odd because the rear of the roof is vertical. I feel that works on say, a 34 3 window since the rear of the roof is sloped forward.
Just my opinion.......
Remember the 'Tubester" - a 32 or 34 Ford pickup built a few years back - amazing metal fab, but it looked off with the sloped A pillars, same way those '40 or so Hudson pickup roofs look goofy, flat back and sloped A pillars.[S
Photo chop it and show us....

your pic of inspiration is one my buddy drew was building. it was pretty sweet

I was sorry to see it go up for sale. I thought it was an awesome idea.

Personally I think if the windshield is laid back too far it looks odd because the rear of the roof is vertical. I feel that works on say, a 34 3 window since the rear of the roof is sloped forward.
Just my opinion.......

I like the rounded header over the windshield. It kind of looks less clunky. You think it would look better straight up or only slightly back like say 5-7 degrees? You have a good eye for correct lines ZZ.

I was sorry to see it go up for sale. I thought it was an awesome idea.

I like the rounded header over the windshield. It kind of looks less clunky. You think it would look better straight up or only slightly back like say 5-7 degrees? You have a good eye for correct lines ZZ.

OK, I see where yer going, so that would give the front of the roof a look something like a 32 and lose the visor. A saw a model A with the front posts and header from a 32 grafted on and it looked killer, most people thought it was a 32.
Carry on..[P

So question is:
A: modify a Model A frame
B: build a ladder tube frame (ala Bonehead style)
C:48 ford axle, stock A axle or dropped A axle (I have one of each)
D: split wish bones or hair pins

Here is what I think:

Go with a new frame made from something like 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 tubing. If you go 2 x 4, taper it to 3 inches in the front so it doesn't look too bulky.

Do not use the 48 axle.......it will cause you fits in trying to find a correct length spring because the perches are so far apart. Plus, your tires will rub on hard turns because the wishbones are mounted out further on these axles. Use the model a axle. If you Z the frame you probably won't need the dropped one and it makes life easier as the tie rod will slip under the wishbones or between the hair pins. With a dropped axle things get tight for the tie rod.

Split bones or hairpins is 6 of one, half dozen of another.........both work great and look fine, so it becomes a personal choice.

Looks like a good start from the pictures. :D

Don

Latest posts

Back