build or buy a frame for my 49 f1 project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

I'm working on gathering the pieces to build a fender less F1 rat and can't decide if i should buy a premade frame or start from scratch with 2x4 tube. I've contacted spirit about their basic frames and can get one for around 520 shipped but think building my own would be cheaper and I would be able to get the perfect look I'm going for. My concerns are #1 I don't consider my self a proficient welder when it comes to something like a frame,mainly welding the front spring mount scares me...lol.(although i do have a brand new Hobart 220 volt mig i need to learn to use) #2 I don't know anyone local that has the experience to come over to help lay it out. I have all the parts i plan to use as far as engine, trans, rear end so my plan would be to block everything up where i want it get the cab set up and build a wood 2x4 frame first to see what it looks like. Any thoughts or advice would be great or if your close to Louisville,Ky and want to help out a new builder let me know.

And i have the tex smith chassis book on the way;)

I think your thoughts are right on the money.........I would use 2 x 4 x 3/16, and you are right, you will get a better looking, better fitting frame if you custom build one from scratch. If you are not confident in your welding (and I am not confident in mine either) tack weld it and then pay a pro to finish it up. The cost isn't that bad, and it will be done right.

Before I had my Son to fall back on for that job, I used pros to finish up my welding. One time I used a teacher from the vo tech, who taught welding and did it on the side for $ 100 for me.

The 2 x 4 lumber trick is one I like to use too. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Don

I used the 2x4x3/16 as well and a 220 MIG. Just do a lot of practice welds on some scrap until you can lat down a good bead. I turned mine up as hot as it could go (175amps) and got good penetration. Make sure you bevel your cuts at a 45 degree angle about half the thickness of the steel to really get in there. After you weld some scrap, cut into the weld with an angle grinder to make sure you're getting all the way through. I had some that I didn't like so I would just grind the weld right into the steel to see how far it went and then just ran another bead over top of that (if that makes sense, it's 5am now:D). Make sure you clamp it solid so it doesn't twist on you also, this link shows my home made jig system:

http://www.vintagerods.ca/showthread.php?t=253

Good luck and take your time.
Sean

I just bought a Spirit BBC 27 T frame for my 51 F-1 and I paid a bit more than $520.00 for mine. It was still worth every cent because It's just a really well done jig welded frame. It was also worth it to me because I'm not equipped nor do I have the experience to even consider welding one myself. Considering the cost of raw steel and other factors such as your own labor etc... that equals ALOT invested!!! If you used a Spirit frame at least you'd know it's gonna be square and true and relatively inexpensive. I'm sure you've seen DMW56's 51 F-1 build thread. His success with a Spirit frame was proof enough to me that it was a good choice. It's your build and you know what you want. Just my two cents worth!

Thunder1

Last edited:
I know by the time you buy all the steel and what ever consumables you need.You will be over the 500 mark.Its not so much just buying the steel.Its all the consumables that nickle and dime you to death.They add up real quick,Unless metal work is something that you do quite often and have these things already on hand.

I probably have around 800 in my frame for my 50 f-1. i used 2x3 tubing with a thicker wall. In that 800 i have the front axle set up was 200, and the rearend was 100. alot of the metal i used was scrap but i still spent 500$ on metal. My wheel base is only 117''. I think tubing is the way to go for a fenderless. I wasnt a good welder when i started but i still went for it. Now i can weld decent so i ground and rewelded all my old ones. I say go for it!!!:D

I think I've decided to just buy my frame and build one on my next project. I want to get going on this truck and have it done in a reasonable amount of time so i can drive it. Heck i already have to learn to set up an i-beam front end, make it steer correctly, figure out a rear suspension, learn to chop and channel the cab. so i have my work cut out for me and having the frame done and square will help out a lot.

I'd still recommend using a Spirit Frame. Mine is way cool man!! I just got it last week. JUST BE SURE TO STRESS THAT YOU WANT THE BRACKET KIT TOO BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY TELL THEM YOU WANT ALL THE BRACKETS LEFT SEPARATE FROM THE FRAME WHEN THEY WELD IT UP AT SPIRIT. That way you can put them where you need them.

Thunder1

I was going to build mine but after I priced the metal I would need plus consumables, not including my labor which is only about a buck an hour it would be almost as much as buying and shipping a new frame. So I got one from Spirit Industries like the one Thunder 1 got.

Frame!

Ratter,
I think that's a pretty good price for the Spirit frame. Just ck the price of steel these days & that'll give u a pretty good idea. Check out the different lengths & be sure they will work for u're application!

BoB

Thunder- I am going to order some things like tranny cross member and stuff when i order my frame but will probably make most of the suspension mounting stuff since i plan to bag the rear.

Tripper- I think the frame will be perfect for my truck as I am modeling my build off of DMW's build. I plan to buy the longer big block frame and change the rear kick to a 12'' from their standard 10 inch. They quoted me 25 more bucks for the extra rear kick and no charge for the big block frame which is just 2 or 3 inches longer.

DMW- Your build is what got me into wanting a rat-rod and has got me out of the mini truckin scene. I can say I've had more fun with this project so far than any of my minis and it is still just a pile of rusty parts.......lol.

Thunder- I am going to order some things like tranny cross member and stuff when i order my frame but will probably make most of the suspension mounting stuff since i plan to bag the rear.

Tripper- I think the frame will be perfect for my truck as I am modeling my build off of DMW's build. I plan to buy the longer big block frame and change the rear kick to a 12'' from their standard 10 inch. They quoted me 25 more bucks for the extra rear kick and no charge for the big block frame which is just 2 or 3 inches longer.

DMW- Your build is what got me into wanting a rat-rod and has got me out of the mini truckin scene. I can say I've had more fun with this project so far than any of my minis and it is still just a pile of rusty parts.......lol.

Ratterman - Your build ought to be badass bagged! :eek: You said some of the EXACT same things in your e-mail that I've said to DMW! :D I told him he created a monster when he built his truck and apparently I was right. I'm doing the same thing as you are but you probably figured that out already - I'm using DMW's build as the model for my 51 F-1.

Thunder1

Man I'm gonna start a fan club.;) Just Kidding but geeess guys. I mean thanks for the compliments and all. But my wife thinks there's going be stalkers out there.:D

No really I'm glad you guys liked my truck and I'm happy that I've inspired others to do the same. This is one of the reasons I like the car hobby so much is helping others and meeting great people like you guys.

Man I'm gonna start a fan club.;) Just Kidding but geeess guys. I mean thanks for the compliments and all. But my wife thinks there's going be stalkers out there.

No really I'm glad you guys liked my truck and I'm happy that I've inspired others to do the same. This is one of the reasons I like the car hobby so much is helping others and meeting great people like you guys.

I think you already have a Fan Club DMW! :D It just sort of happened! :confused: Like all innovative rod builders, you've gained a following because you did something unique that caught our attention. You proved to me anyway that these big fat Ford cabs can still be made into something really cool. Next thing you know, we'll all start calling you "VON DON" :rolleyes:

Thunder1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back