bumpy roof cover-up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingdeadguy

So i made my roof one peice and its a little bumpy looking with some waves in it, i worked it as much as i could but i just want to cover it with one of those padded covers people put on their cars. I dont know what they are called but they make it look like the top can come off but they are just for looks. Anybody know what they are called? And anyone have one?

i dunno when i looked it up it was like pictures of the whole roof and some of the sides, the kind i'm looking for is where its just the middle of the roof, like for 30's cars where the canvas top used to me

this isnt my car but this is what i am talking about
29em2oi.jpg
ive seen this on alot of highend cars where they make it look like its a romovable top but it acutally just sits there for looks and thats what i wanna do to cover up my roof. Has anyone made one before?

That's not a cover for sheetmetal. It was original equipment on just about every closed car until the mid-30's. Stamping technology hadn't advanced enough to draw an entire roof, so they were filled with padded inserts on wooden bows. I am assuming you now want to cover your lumpy sheetmetal with a faux insert? It could be done on your existing roof, but unless your waves are very minor you are still going to see them. It may even backfire and pronounce them even more.

I would suggest finding a donor roof with a similar contour and cut out the shape you would like for your "insert". You could cover it with padded vinyl, and it would be easier to handle and to stretch tightly since it will be it's own entity. It would also cover up your unsightly roof repair smoothly. Attach it with some stainless trim scews or something of the like and it would probably turn out ok...

Are you asking about a landau or canopy top? It's a vinyl sheet over a thin foam padding you put over a hardtop to give the impression of being a convertable. Very popular in Detroit all through the 70's.Really depends on how bad the roof waves are as the foam can "soak up" some of the wave height. It's stretched and sealed on the edges so the foam compacts more at the apex of the arch and less at the bottom. Google "landau top" and you will get some pics. Hope that helps.

80s-90s minivan roof sheetmetal

cover in vinyl, glued on

turn backwards so body countours match

attatch rivet snaps (or fasteners of choice)

snap onto your roof and stop getting that farmer tan

$50 start to finish

---

or make a custom suspended fabric roof for bookoo bucks and labor

Latest posts

Back