C3 corvette rear steer?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a rear steer unit.....behing the front a arms..

I've attached a shot of the box..

Attachments

• vemp_1006_23+c3_corvette_steering_system+.jpg
    vemp_1006_23+c3_corvette_steering_system+.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 46
You are correct, the photo is of a r&p set up to replace

hmmmm.. The C3 (68, 82) was not a rack and pinion setup.

the C3's original set up....thought that was what he was talking about...as the original was rear steer just not r&p....sorry my bad if I misunderstood...

Thanks for the info.
Would a c3 original gear box be an option for my '37 Buick?
I need 7" of travel with the spindles I currently have.
Thanks
Mutt

I truly don't know the total travel of the box lock to lock..

I have attached a photo of the manual steering gear...power stg uses the slave cylinder set up...
I would think that for simplicity that a R&P would be the way to go....more compact and less headaches but not sure what you're thinking about doing..... wish I could help you more..maybe if you found a C3 and did some measurements and such.....like I said, without a good source of info not sure about the install and how much it would take.....

Attachments

• c3 manual steering.jpg
    c3 manual steering.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the picture, looks very similar to the '95 roadmaster front steer.
Called Steeroids who make Rack & Pin for c3 corvettes. They said the c3 rack has 6.1" of throw. They gave me Advantage West's number who remanufacture R&P. Advantage West said the Cavalier style was the only center take off unit they have and it has 6.5" of travel. They gave me number for Ron at RPM Engineering who has done many R&P designs for ond Cadillacs. No answer & his amswerin machine is full so maybe he is on vacation. Without a longer travel R&B, GM power steer box for a C3 may be the way to go. Just use a longer arm off the box to increase throw to 7 inches.
1) Does anyone have any tips for making this type of set up as tight as possible?
Thanks
Mutt

Dimenstions of C3 steering components?

Can anyone provide the following dimensions for stock c3 steering components?
1) length of the tie rods
2) distance between the inner attach points of the tie rods
Thanks
Mutt

Dimensions of C3 steering components?

Can anyone provide the following dimensions for stock c3 steering components?
1) length of the tie rods
2) distance between the inner attach points of the tie rods
Thanks
Mutt

Latest posts

Back