Caddy/Packard ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satanherself

Our favorite Sweetheart!
Ok all you older ( wiser?? ) folk ( there's no delicate way to say over 50 is there?? ) anywho,,Satan willing,,I may be picking up an old 1960's FED ( secretly I have always wanted one ) No motor or tans,,but no big deal,,,now to the actually question.I have a couple Lasalle trannys and 2 Packards,I'm thinking (hoping? ) that a 3 speed will work for a 1/4 mile car,,but which is gonna hold up better? Looking into the bottomless pits the Packard somehow seems simpler and more ??direct?? plus I'm not super keen on the lil insertible shifter puck on the one Lasalle lever. Anyone have any experience with beating the snot out of either of these gear boxes?

Wow..This brings back memories. I don't know who told you about the insertable shifter pucks, BUT, they can be a problem. Long story short, when I was a kid (1964) I had my Dad machine stainless pucks to replace the brass ones......they worked great, but knowing what I know today I don't think I would do it the same way. Stainless gaules easily.........otherwise the tranny was flawless! Tranny was in a Stud whith a 302 Chevy motor. Beating the snot out of it? oh YAAA

My 39 tranny had a broken one thats how I know when I got everthing out and found the lame broken brass thing I was like WTF ?? this big bad transmission and they put this cheap ass thing in there,,I was thinking of trying to modifiy forks from anoth tranny to work but I think there'd be clearance issues :eek:

Well was thinking doing the tailshaft ( or lack there of ) like they do for Ford Torque Tubes (or Buick ) figured that be short enough
KodakPictures-1576.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back