calipers, in front or rear of axles?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

My rearend's calipers are mounted on the rear side of the axle.
My front calipers are also mounted on the rear side of the front axle.
I noticed that new cars with rear mounted calipers on their rearend have their front calipers mounted on the front side of their front axle. Others that have rearend with calipers on the front side will have their front calipers on the back side of the front axle. They all seem to have their calipers mounted at opposing ends. Is there a "must do it this way" reason or an advatage to this practice? My rearend's calipers have to stay on the back side because of my e-brake set-up, but I could move the front ones to the front side of the axle if I have to. Is it worth the effort? [S
Can anyone shed light on this?

Frankr
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi[dr

I have read somewhere that it's better to have the calipers mounted so when the vehicle is moving forward (most traveled direction) the calipers should be mounted behind the axle so any "stuff" picked up from the road it would be cleaned off. If they were mounted on the front side the "stuff" could lay on top of the calipers and possibilty cause premature wear.

Just what I remember reading, truth or tell, I don't know, but there is some logic to this way of mounting if you agree with the information presented.

On your straight axle street rod the bleeder valve should be on top..:D thats all that matters..ok , now maybe some mechanical engineer will have some technical stuff to ad..[P

I recently had this exact discussion with Wilwood about the discs on the front of my Son Don's T bucket. After 3 years of futzing around we still can't get them to stop squealing slightly. But during the discussion we talked about mounting them either in front or behind the spindle and he said functionally it makes no difference, just cosmetic.

They put 4 bleeder screws on theirs just so you can put them in front or behind, and you only use the top two bleeders when bleeding, starting with the outside one.

Evidently, discs aren't like drum brakes where you want the longer shoe behind and the shorter one up front. Calipers can be mounted anywhere on the rotor they fit.

Don

I have a theory that if the calipers are mounted in front the will exert down force on the tires!!...[P

I don't think so. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. (I was actually awake that day in class! [ddev) So there should be no more on the downside than the upside of the rotor, or vice versa. But I am no engineer.

Don

I don't think so. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. (I was actually awake that day in class! [ddev) So there should be no more on the downside than the upside of the rotor, or vice versa. But I am no engineer.

Don

LOL....you can tell I slept thru physics class. But my mind works different than most folks anyway!! :D

Buick rear end

I have a rear end from a Buick LeSabre that has on caliper on the front and the other side is on the back. It uses the same caliper for both sides.

The factories have to worry about packaging,
and ease of assembly/cost.

On the front of a fenderless ride, I think they
look better on the back with the steering arms.
But they will work the same either way.

For racing, it's easier to cool the calipers on front.

My rearend's calipers are mounted on the rear side of the axle.
My front calipers are also mounted on the rear side of the front axle.
I noticed that new cars with rear mounted calipers on their rearend have their front calipers mounted on the front side of their front axle. Others that have rearend with calipers on the front side will have their front calipers on the back side of the front axle. They all seem to have their calipers mounted at opposing ends. Is there a "must do it this way" reason or an advatage to this practice? My rearend's calipers have to stay on the back side because of my e-brake set-up, but I could move the front ones to the front side of the axle if I have to. Is it worth the effort? [S
Can anyone shed light on this?

Frankr
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi[dr

I don't think it makes any difference if they are mounted for or aft. The rotational force put onto the rear axle housing will be the same either way. As others have mentioned, as long as the bleeders are on tope, you're good to go.

Don

Figured out real quick this can be a very complex subject-here is my take (I think). Since I race a sprint car, that's where I'm coming from here. We have a one-piece solid, live rear axle that doesn't have tubes, but has a birdcage (bearing carrier) on each side. That is what our radius rod & torsion arm mount to. The outboard caliper(s) mount to those also. In that case, the caliper does try to drive the tire into the gound because it tries to rotate the top of the birdcage forward (which it can't), so it pushes that end of the axle down. I don't think in this case it matters where the caliper is at in relation to the rotor. If doing a wheelie on a tacky track, you can stay in the throttle and stab brakes and it will pull the nose back down, just from the rotational force put on the car. The rear tires are driven into the ground, but with the front end in the air and still on the gas, the front rotates back down to the ground. How all this affects a street car with leafs or a 4-link and calipers that mount to a rearend housing instead of directily on the bearing carriers is a little beyond me. If someone can enlighten me or prove me wrong, please do-I'm all ears!

the placement of the caliper is all based on the placement of everything else in the mounting area. if there is no room for the caliper and bracket in the front portion of the rotor, then it is mounted in the rear and vice versa. that is the way i have always dealt with placement. i have had steering arms, UCA's and LCA's all hindering the placement of calipers on different vehicles, so i had to place them in a different area on all of them.

i am going to look for the picture, but i remember seeing an older rally car that had dual calipers on the front rotors for some insane stopping power. i dont think it is really needed, but who am i to say, it isnt my car.

Latest posts

Back