Cam,and rearend help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldos_1

Well to start ,i got the cam for free its a 292H with 501 lift,i have it in my 53 Chevy 3100 i just built ,changed the intake ,i have a 600 holley carb with stock stall,and stock gears in the rear, when i hit it from idle its a dead dog. the converter is bogging me down, with the stock rear gears i think they are 2.?? something stock gears,what if i went to 3.73 gears will this make up the difference, i hate to put a stall it idles in gear really well about 200rpm drop and no surging at all so just wanted to know if the gear change alone will wake the dead to do bad burn out's

if you put 3;73s in it,it should wake it up,as for stall converters,i hav a sbc with a big cam an i run stock one,i just hold the brake tight at a lite,but lite changes an i can smoke the tires though the lites

I hear ya ,when im at the light i have no trouble at all,just at acelaration it feels like a old horse ,and i do have a overdrive 700-R4 so it wont hurt me on the hwy witch i dont go on often and 55 is my cruise speed ,the engine is barely at idle,thanks

I agree with the timing check.
The 700R4 has a pretty low first gear.
Give at much initial timing as you can without going much over 38 deg. total.
Unless it is a vortec headed engine. Then maybe 34 total.

But it would help to know the engine build and components.

Don

I have the timing good ,just seems as light as this thing it it should boil the tires at the smash of my foot,if i foot break,it rev's really good but just i think it should smoke'em right away,im gonna look and see exactly what gears are in there now i know they stock, if they are 2.?? like everyone say's the 3.73 will wake it up for sho

no power off the line

I'm going to say you have an issue with the engine not the rear end gears, go back and recheck the timing on the motor, check for proper spray pump action inside the carb, and check for vaccum leaks around the carb base or intake, make sure if you have a vaccum advance dist. you have the vac hose hooked to the right port on the carb, it should only get vac on that hose when giving it gas, not at idle, if you have the orignal torque tube rear end, I'm going to say it has 4:11 gears in it now, most of the manual trucks came with that, for pulling heavy loads, fast out of the hole but no top speed, it should smoke the tires as is.

Im sorry if i didnt clear myself its a 89 chevy 1500 rear end on it ,it is not the orignal rear end,i know if i had a converter it would rev up fast ,i may just do that cause if i change the rear gears it will shift out pretty fast

LOL 89 chevy rear end diff not a 4.11 lol

I just changed the rear end in my 91 ranger with a 4.0 from a stock 2.72 ish to a rear from an exploder that had a 3.73 and let me tell you its made all the diffrence in the world on take off. The only down side is my speedo is about 10 mph off and at 70mph in OD im sitting @ 2k rpm instead of the 1600 it was before.:)

Well last night i checked the timing i was off was on 5* at idle with all vacum caped off got it to 12* and when about 3 grand on tach 35* total ,took it out and made a big difference got it to do a little burn out but i think it should be as lot more,i turned my rear tire 1 whole turn and my drive shaft turned 1.5 times so i wonder what gear i have ,i might just go ahead and take it down ,i just hate to do that and then put it all back together

Well to start ,i got the cam for free its a 292H with 501 lift,i have it in my 53 Chevy 3100 i just built ,changed the intake ,i have a 600 holley carb with stock stall,and stock gears in the rear, when i hit it from idle its a dead dog. the converter is bogging me down, with the stock rear gears i think they are 2.?? something stock gears,what if i went to 3.73 gears will this make up the difference, i hate to put a stall it idles in gear really well about 200rpm drop and no surging at all so just wanted to know if the gear change alone will wake the dead to do bad burn out's

That cam has a operating range of 2500-6500. It isn't going to have much low end, especially with those gears and a stock stall.
LRR

Well got the rear end tore apart last night 3.08 were in it and were worn as hell ,the pic was bent from banging around with all the slack it had,hope to install the posi unit tonight with the 3.73 i think it will wake it up,not that i wanna go fast ,just want good burn outs, i have the Bad Nova with the LS in it for speed any way i hope the new rear fits from what i read they have 30 spline and 28 ,i have to pick it up from a friend so i dont know what it is yet,when im done i'll post the end results ,thanks to all who have had input,thanks

Latest posts

Back