Can anyone ID this axle???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvorat57

I picked up this straight axle for $20.00!!!
It will work for my project but im wondering what it came from...
Im sure someone out there can tell me lol.

SN850151.jpg

SN850152.jpg

SN850153.jpg

Thanks guys..

I think it is a Model T Ford with a 1936-39 brake drum on it. If you intend to use a Ford cross spring set up, I'd suggest getting a 1932-1948 axle. Even a '28-'31 Model A axle will work better than the one you have there. There's a number of different Ford axle configurations from '32 to '48, it all depends on how much fabrication you are willing and able to do as opposed to buying components that will bolt together.

Thanks for your input Bob w,
When it comes to the buying bolt on parts, I dont have much money coming in. Plus.. I love to fabricate things, so ill try the fab up thing first and see how it goes. But I will still be looking for the right parts in this time incase one comes up Super cheap.

Again Thank you for your input Bob

Correct, that is a Model T axle and it is WAY too flimsy to work in any application other than a stock Model T. The hubs on the wide five drums do not fit properly on those spindles either, so they are out. You got your $20 worth on the wheels, but everything else there is junk.

I understand that you don't have much money coming in, but that is why it is extra important for you to do LOTS of research before wasting what little money that you do have on parts you can't use. Also - being on a budget is NEVER an excuse for ignoring safety and plain old common sense. I don't want to see you or anyone else hurt. It's great that you are interested in hot rods and you want to jump into your first build, but it seems you are a little over your head here. Read books, magazines, tech articles on the net, talk to people at shows - absorb any and all information you can BEFORE you make costly mistakes. "Costly" not referring to wasting $20 on a junk axle, but as in losing your life or worse yet someone elses. It may sound harsh, but it is a sad fact of life. Don't be a statistic! Besides, when we start having too many accidents due to unsafe media-described "rat rod" type cars, then we are all going to pay the price. Take a look at a lot of the crap that's on the road today. Trust me, it's coming. So let's start off on the right foot...

A bit more advice - buy the Mike Bishop/Vern Tardel book "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hotrod". You will learn LOTS about what you are attempting to emulate and it will give you a good background in the basics to build upon. I hope this didn't sound too harsh, but I think you need some direction here. Good Luck...

Correct, that is a Model T axle and it is WAY too flimsy to work in any application other than a stock Model T. The hubs on the wide five drums do not fit properly on those spindles either, so they are out. You got your $20 worth on the wheels, but everything else there is junk.

I understand that you don't have much money coming in, but that is why it is extra important for you to do LOTS of research before wasting what little money that you do have on parts you can't use. Also - being on a budget is NEVER an excuse for ignoring safety and plain old common sense. I don't want to see you or anyone else hurt. It's great that you are interested in hot rods and you want to jump into your first build, but it seems you are a little over your head here. Read books, magazines, tech articles on the net, talk to people at shows - absorb any and all information you can BEFORE you make costly mistakes. "Costly" not referring to wasting $20 on a junk axle, but as in losing your life or worse yet someone elses. It may sound harsh, but it is a sad fact of life. Don't be a statistic! Besides, when we start having too many accidents due to unsafe media-described "rat rod" type cars, then we are all going to pay the price. Take a look at a lot of the crap that's on the road today. Trust me, it's coming. So let's start off on the right foot...

A bit more advice - buy the Mike Bishop/Vern Tardel book "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hotrod". You will learn LOTS about what you are attempting to emulate and it will give you a good background in the basics to build upon. I hope this didn't sound too harsh, but I think you need some direction here. Good Luck...

I will say this.. at first I took what you said as bitter but after reading it again I can see your just helping out a young builder who has alot of learning to do in What parts to stay away from and what not, and Thank You.
Now im still learing and I have a question for You.
In what ways is this axle weak? I Have welded in a gusset in the place I thought was weak, and beat on it with a hammer to make sure it was a strong weld lol.
But if you insist that its not strong at all no matter what I do to it.. I will hang it on the wall for looks.

Picture of the gusset area is in my build thread.
Again thank you for your quidence

For starters you won't be able to put decent brakes on it. The axle is light, it was designed for a low powered, low wieght vehicle. I won't say it is useless, just don't use it on a car. A small trailer would be good.
Now, I have been in this for quite awhile and I still get excited and burn myself on the wrong part. Although I am getting better at it.

Latest posts

Back