can i get a title with this?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustycarr

its a idaho registration , with an engine number and title number. ive got a 27 coupe can i use this to get a texas title?

Attachments

• zoomed.JPG
    zoomed.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 46
Er... doubtful!

its a idaho registration , with an engine number and title number. ive got a 27 coupe can i use this to get a texas title?

Doubtful but u can try. I *always* use a service to get & transfer all my titles... saves a lot of headaches!

BoB

If a registration was proof of ownership and you have a letter from the other stat's dmv stating that , plus have either a bill of sale or title transfer form signed by the seller/
I did have all that with a New York registration and got a title in Texas without a problem.
The thing I found with Texas is know what you are doing when you go in, don't expect them to be the knowledgable one about anything because they aren't. Have all you paperwork in order and know what you are doing.

Idaho registrations won't cut it in the title-getting department. The clue there is that it has a title number being referenced right on it, so without the actual title you're out of luck. You might not even get it out of the case anyways. This is what the seller said about it in a message - not quite the "great condition" that he stated in the auction...

"The document is in an old case, and both the paper and the case seem weak. I don't want to damage it. I can tell that there is writing. If I can get it apart without damging it I will let you know, but Im afraid of tearing it."

Seems sketchy... But hey, at least you're only losing $4.94

One thing I found in Texas, they are mostly anal about things but also inconsistent. Things one DMV station wouldn't do, the next county over would do with no problems. They do require 2 items signed by the seller (the second being the aformentioned bill of sale or title transfer application) which often means you have to be "creative" to come up with that second signature.
They also have a titling procedure for built cars that you may want to check into. My good friend got his 31 A coupe titled for a grand total of $75 in Tyler a few years ago. They might have closed that hole and now you have to pay tax on an appraised value.

Idaho registrations won't cut it in the title-getting department. The clue there is that it has a title number being referenced right on it, so without the actual title you're out of luck. You might not even get it out of the case anyways. This is what the seller said about it in a message - not quite the "great condition" that he stated in the auction...

"The document is in an old case, and both the paper and the case seem weak. I don't want to damage it. I can tell that there is writing. If I can get it apart without damging it I will let you know, but Im afraid of tearing it."

Seems sketchy... But hey, at least you're only losing $4.94

I thought the title number was referencing that this was the title. You musta been watching it too!!

One thing I found in Texas, they are mostly anal about things but also inconsistent. Things one DMV station wouldn't do, the next county over would do with no problems. They do require 2 items signed by the seller (the second being the aformentioned bill of sale or title transfer application) which often means you have to be "creative" to come up with that second signature.
They also have a titling procedure for built cars that you may want to check into. My good friend got his 31 A coupe titled for a grand total of $75 in Tyler a few years ago. They might have closed that hole and now you have to pay tax on an appraised value.

This is why I recommend a *knowledgeable* title service... it's cheap & I always tip an extra $20. I use a woman that has been in that business for many years. It's much better to have someone do it properly the 1st time... believe me! It also depends on how you plan on registering it... classic, antique etc. Texas has also instituted some new regs & it's possible you may have to get an appraisal for classic & antique plates.

BoB

This is why I recommend a *knowledgeable* title service... it's cheap & I always tip an extra $20. I use a woman that has been in that business for many years. It's much better to have someone do it properly the 1st time... believe me! It also depends on how you plan on registering it... classic, antique etc. Texas has also instituted some new regs & it's possible you may have to get an appraisal for classic & antique plates.

BoB

I like that idea but never knew a professional. I found that if you went in well armed, show every intent to comply to the letter of the law and were polite (always a good idea) then you had a decent chance. Maybe even may a run on them just to ask questions and obtain the proper forms. No body wants to pay but if you jusy consider the couple hundred they charge you part of the cost of building a car and be happy to pony it up then it will go smooth enough. They will probably want to see a "complete" car to issue a title and levy the tax so load it up and take it in before you have it all finnished out.

In California, you would also need a vin verification. In other words, the vehicle in question would have to be examined to verify the vin number. Just a registration wouldn't cut it unless the registration was for that vehicle.

Title companies are also being scrutinized for issuing fictitous titles. One of the reasons Boyd got snagged.

Boyd and some others got snagged because they were not paying enough tax. It wasn't a registration issue, Cali wanted paid the tax due on the true value of the car, not the much smaller figure Boyd and other custom builders had been claiming.

Boyd and some others got snagged because they were not paying enough tax. It wasn't a registration issue, Cali wanted paid the tax due on the true value of the car, not the much smaller figure Boyd and other custom builders had been claiming.
Some of the guys around here received a notices from DMV that their registrations were void. Turns out, DMV was not honoring titles issued by title companies.

On the back of this document is a place for the seller to sign it over to a new owner and the new owner to sign.

Latest posts

Back