Car for my Daughter, PITA for the wife

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilit Everrun

So I told both of my girls when they turned 12 we would search for and buy a car for them. The only rule was that they would work on it with me to get it running and ready for 16. This is what my oldest (12 yo) one picked out...
DSCN2999.jpg

DSCN3000 copy.jpg

A running (almost) driving (sort of) 1949 Chrysler something. So it has a flat head 6 and a fluid drive transmission. We are thinking of upgrading the running gear and ditching the 6 volt system. She has big plans for the interior. The 12 year old is the designer and my 9 year old is my little grease monkey wrencher. They worked it out to trade labor.[cl

cool deal

nothing better then having a family project and having both girls interested in wanting to build them together. should be a good time and a nice find for her, sharp and looks in real good shape

I am amazed at how much the 9 yo is soaking up. We were circling the grocery store parking lot and a Plymouth prowler pulled in. He parked way out away from everyone, and we gave it a look on the way by. From the back seat, talking to her self I heard her say 'look at those A arms hanging out in the air like that' :eek:
We are all blessed more than we could ever know, but sometimes it is really easy to see. Everything I have in life is price negotiable but not the family.

family

cherish it.....

l didn't realize what l had till it was gone. me, dad ,cousins and grampa all worked on hot rods and race cars together, l miss those days.

so glad they are interested, spending time with them is going to pay off later in all you're lives.

have fun,:D

Thats cool! My 12 yr old won't ride in my work truck (88 K3500) but really liked the 08 Z06 I supercharged! says she would be ok with one of those![S

So I told both of my girls when they turned 12 we would search for and buy a car for them. The only rule was that they would work on it with me to get it running and ready for 16. This is what my oldest (12 yo) one picked out...
View attachment 85182

View attachment 85183

A running (almost) driving (sort of) 1949 Chrysler something. So it has a flat head 6 and a fluid drive transmission. We are thinking of upgrading the running gear and ditching the 6 volt system. She has big plans for the interior. The 12 year old is the designer and my 9 year old is my little grease monkey wrencher. They worked it out to trade labor.[cl

Dude, that's AWESOME!!!:D:D

Big, happy "Daddy with two daughters too" grin heading in your direction.:D

Regards,
Shea:)

You have no idea what a great experience this will be for you and for them. You all will remember this for the rest of your lives. [cl[cl

I did the same thing when my Sons were about 12 or so. Dan wanted a Cal Look VW so we started buying bugs and ended up with 8 of them, which we stripped down and kept the best parts from. We got so good at it we could strip one in 45 minutes and have the leftovers hauled to the scrap yard before my then wife got home from work. :cool: Saved a lot of complaining from her.

Don wanted an Oldsmobile and we found a 65 Jetstar 88 and a 65 Delta 88, both convertibles. We again took the best parts and built one car out of them. By the time they were 16 their cars were almost done and I remember Dan looking at his bug one time and saying "This car is going to change my life !!!!! " :D

That Dodge you found is a great start, please keep us posted on how the build is going. Don't worry if the wife gives you heat, there is a bigger picture here that they sometimes can't understand.

Don

I do have to say that my wife is a perfect fit for me and has learned a lot over the past 17 years.(As have I) The first car I ever bought (project car) was a 1968 chevy Impala that I pulled out of a ditch in a guys yard towed home. As we were following it home she looked at me :mad: and asked "What the #%@! did you buy that thing for!?!" Later when I was done with it and ready to move on to the next one she said "Why are you selling it, its so pretty?":confused: Since then I have surprised her with many many different things. She made the mistake of going off one weekend and when she got back on Sunday there were 2 s-10 pickups in the yard. A week later, Just like you Don they were crushed and on their way to China and I had some stuff to keep and some to sell.[ddd
Now she just shakes her head, buckles up, goes for the ride and hopes for the best.

On a side note the DMV guy was out today and all the papers should go through ok, I'll know better when he emails me tomorrow.:p

Latest posts

Back