carb options for multi set up's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

ive been looking and searching all over for cool carbs and manifold set up's, damn they get $$$$ quick.

i dont know hardly any thing about the older carbs used in the day. the big one i see all the time is the stromberg 97.

so as a newbie to the multi set up's. what are there to look for? is there a compairable carb to the 97? what did the 97 come on stock back in the day?

i see small logo/ large logo to many options, lol.

Stromberg Carbs 48's, 81's and 97's were used on the Ford V8's in the 30's. Although they have reputation as a hot rod carb they also have a reputation for leaking. The new ones have been imporved but as you have found are very pricey as are the original 97's.

A less expensive alternative carb is the Ford Holley 94. They look very similar and can be found for way less than the 97s. They are also reproduced. If you do use originals try to find a matching set there are a lot of different versions out there.

I have Holley 94's 59As on my 48 59Ab engine.

Here are some links:

http://www.vintagespeed.com/
http://www.gocatspeedshop.com/

001-9.jpg

dmw56, nice motor! Deerchooper, you can pick up a used intake for a little of nothing....bead-blast it, fix any cracks or stripped threads, yea, the Holleys are the way to go, the old strombergs have been picked over so much, the ones for sale are the bottom of the barrel. If they're in good shape, no-one wants to part with them....
you got 2x4's, 3x2's, 4x2's, theres even a 5x2 out there, 6/8x2's, then you got the singles in the same configurations....

if your not into the 94's....look at the old carters and rochester 2g's, don't look as cool/classic as the 97's or 94's....but can be had pretty cheap, if ya shop around....

Stovebolt engine company usta sell a remaned Holly/Webber progressive 2bbl for around $75 that I've used on 6 cylinder multy carbed motors with good results.

They originally ran 150 cid 4 bangers--I ran 2 on a 250 six, three should do well on a 350 chebby.

PA41

The sad fact of life is, multiple carb setups are just not as smooth or as good performance wise as a good single four barrel. However, nothing looks better on a hot rod than 2 to 8 of those little buggers perched on top of a motor. :D As the guys mentioned, the old favorite was the stromberg 97, but they did leak and were hard to set up on multiple setups. New improved gaskets did solve some of the leaking, but they are still hard to find and expensive. There are new versions of the 97 being made, but I have seen negative reports on those, and they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The other option is the Rochester 2G carbs, and that is what I am using on the 394 Olds for my rpu project. They are relatively cheap (I bought a bunch of them on Ebay and paid $ 15-$ 25 each) I am using the best 3 and will put a kit in them and use Vintage Speed bases under the end two to eliminate the idle circuits. (You only need an idle circuit on the primary carb that you run on until you kick in the end carbs) When GM introduced the tripower setups on various Olds and Pontiac engines in the late 50's, they did exactly that, and the two end carbs were only dumpers.

The 2G's flow a lot more cfms than the Strombergs and are relatively problem free. I had two of them on the 350 in my 23 and they worked well, but never as good as the single four barrel I had on it at first.

Don

Here is the setup I will be using on my Olds engine:

my394olds006.jpg

Here is the setup I had on my 23:

PopsTcarbs017.jpg

And if you want four carbs, here is a setup Gastrick sold me for my Son. These will go on either a Grafitti clone or maybe on his 46 Tudor.

donsnewintake016.jpg

Another option is two fours. These are easy to setup and run.

055.jpg

thanks for all the replies.

makes it hard to figure out doesnt it.

maybe thats why i see some of these set up with blocking plates on the outer carbs to make life simple.

thanks for all the replies.

makes it hard to figure out doesnt it.

maybe thats why i see some of these set up with blocking plates on the outer carbs to make life simple.

Yeah, I saw a 6 carb setup for a sbc for sale a while back and the 4 end carbs were blocked off, only running on the center 2. Kinda fake, and defeats the purpose of all those carbs, but I guess it tames them down for better streetability.

Don

hey donsrod,do you have any close up pics of the dual rochesters. did you make the front one the primary carb.what kind of linkage.thanks

Yeah, I saw a 6 carb setup for a sbc for sale a while back and the 4 end carbs were blocked off, only running on the center 2. Kinda fake, and defeats the purpose of all those carbs, but I guess it tames them down for better streetability.

Don

They mighta had to much CFM for the motor. Easy to do if they start using the 'newer' carbs with the bigger throats. Well, depending on the motor....

Latest posts

Back