Carnage in the shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I'm always amazed at the mess I can make in the garage on a day off.

This 351 is going into my latest project. Build thread on that coming soon.

Another rusty '77 Cougar is off to the great scrap heap in the sky!

Attachments

• Engine pull 1.jpg
    Engine pull 1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Engine pull 2.jpg
    Engine pull 2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Engine pull 3.jpg
    Engine pull 3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 113
Doesn't take long does it? I am the master of making a huge mess in a hurry, not so much on cleaning it back up though:rolleyes:

Looking forward to the build..

What always amazes me is how many tools you have to drag out to do any job. If I am changing spark plugs I end up with every tool I own laying around me. :confused:

That Cougar looks like one I had in 78. :D

Don

Nice! don't throw away that Cougar. Cut the floor out of it and use it for a shed! it's big enough!:D

Nice! don't throw away that Cougar. Cut the floor out of it and use it for a shed! it's big enough!:D

Years ago a local salvage yard owner near me was doing similiar..he was cutting the floors out of old cars, sittin the body on the ground and growing weeds that some use for "medicinal" purposes in them..:D:D He got busted but died of a heart attack before he could start his sentence..

Some had 8.8 rears in them.

No this will be a 28 spline 9 inch.... Should be 2.47 or 2.50 gears

eBay the tail lights and the headlight panel.....if you ever look for them they are impossible to find.

If you we're closer I'd buy the shell

If I had the space & time I would have parted some of this stuff out, but I had to have it hauled away. My only extra parking is on the street and the city will start giving out tickets for cars that don't move.

Cars like this are available all day on CL around here.

Soooo, I was looking at this motor after I pulled it out and thinking that it sure is a big, heavy sucker for a 351 Windsor...which is what I assumed it was. Turns out its a 351M, which is a bigger and heavier block than the Windsor. It's basically a 351 Cleveland block with a taller deck and longer stroke, uses cleveland heads, other stuff as well. Hard to believe but Ford had 3 different 351s!! Jeez. It looked so small in that huge engine bay!

Nothing wrong with a 351M according to my research other than they are low-revving torque monsters designed for big cars and trucks as a replacement for the 390. About 100lbs heavier than a 351W, taller and wider too.

At the very least...it's different.

No it's a destroked 400. The 351C is a small block with the same valve covers as a 351M/400. If you ever go in search of a tranny the one your going to need will be behind 351m/ 400 or a 429/460....

I personally hate the 351m, I swapped 5 or 5 into one truck in a 6 month period and after that I just had no trust in them. Now the 400s I've had they were practically unkillable, not sure if I was lucky with that select few but they lasted till I gave up and junked them.

No it's a destroked 400. The 351C is a small block with the same valve covers as a 351M/400. If you ever go in search of a tranny the one your going to need will be behind 351m/ 400 or a 429/460....

Yes its a destroked 400M, which uses the same "335" block as the 351c. Heads will interchange, etc, not just valve covers. I've heard they suck too, but apparently they are popular with the late 70's bronco crowd as being very tough and there is alot of aftermarket parts like heads, intake, cams, distributors, etc. Never going to be a race engine, but Hot Rod did an article where they built one up to 500+ hp.

I'm just looking for a cruiser so it's fine for now (and for the price).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_335_engine

Some folks get downright defensive about them...

http://www.projectbronco.com/Technical_Articles/Dispelling_the_rumors.htm

I won't defend tem a bit.... However I would use it as a boat anchor.... And I bleed ford blue...

If anyone offers you the 1977-1980 LINCOLN VERSAILLES "first rear disc"rear axle RUN you wont find anything for that thang, NAPA, A-1 CARDONE said no way on calipers, brakes shoes I found 1 set in Portland I'm in NM. The guys on e-junk say they have the calipers but cant produce them. Man no joke run if someone offers you one of those,even for FREE .......... RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't defend tem a bit.... However I would use it as a boat anchor.... And I bleed ford blue...

Not my first choice either. But the more people that tell me it sucks, the more I'm going to like it! I tend to be drawn to oddball engines. Heck, it's even got an FMX tranny on it which most will say sucks too. Double win!!

I'm going to paint it gold, put generic valve covers on it and tell people it's the Caddy 407 they only sold in Canada. That will fish out the bs'ers at the car shows for sure. "Oh yeah, I heard of that one..."

[ddd

I'm going to paint it gold, put generic valve covers on it and tell people it's the Caddy 407 they only sold in Canada. That will fish out the bs'ers at the car shows for sure. "Oh yeah, I heard of that one..."

[ddd

LOL! I love your sense of humor![cl

No it's a destroked 400. The 351C is a small block with the same valve covers as a 351M/400.

The 351 Cleveland is not a small block, it falls in between the 351 Windsor and 351 Modified (or Michigan) larger physically than the Windsors and with the projection at the front of the block like the 351M. The 351 Cleveland came first, the 351m / 400M engines are basically tall deck versions of it with the 429/460 bellhousing bolt pattern.
To make it even more confusing, there was the Boss 302 variant which had Cleveland style canted valve heads.
The 351M responds to the same mods as any engine with decent power - they get a bad rap because they were produced at the height of the smog engine era with low compression and retarded timing, etc. That is all easily corrected for a decent street engine.

I was referring to the trans it took.....

Haha a caddy 407, when I catch someone saying stuff like that I think to myself " it's your story you tell it like you want it"

Latest posts

Back