cason top build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutman

I was just running this addition to my 67 Volkrod project thread, but I got a couple requests to make it it's own thread for a "carson top" build. Hope no one minds the double posts as I start this thread but add to my original build thread so it is all in one place.

For those that haven't looked at my build thread the plan is a carson top covered in canvas to keep the scorchin' rays and bits of moisture off when needed. It is built with 1/2" conduit, a $30 conduit bender (and my knee) to shape the tubes, and three attempt to get it where I liked the look.

Got some time after Spring Break and being back to work to finish up the frame for the Carson Top. I welded in some more cross bracing to support the bows and keep the fabric from sucking down between bows when pulled ubber tight. I didn't get the very front done because still kickin' around how I want that finished. I also got the rear hold down done with a $9 hood pin kit from the local auto parts place. I built the front one from scratch. I drove 5 miles to pick up my son from school and no rattles. That is saying alot since I live in the country on a half mile gravel driveway. I am very pleased with the lines/countour I finally achieved. Might wrap it tonight when I get my wife home and some extra hands help.
Thanks for looking!
100_1697.jpg

100_1698.jpg

100_1699.jpg

carsonlatchfront001.jpg

I have no idea since I built this thing about 2.5 times to get it how I wanted it. I think I could build this same one again in about 4 hours if I had to. I had no plan and built this as I went.

I have no idea since I built this thing about 2.5 times to get it how I wanted it. I think I could build this same one again in about 4 hours if I had to. I had no plan and built this as I went.

That is what I was asking about...in a round about way.

Things that look pretty on paper, don't always work in real life. It lloks like you stuck with it long enugh to make it have a pleasant shape in real life.

Good work.

Thanks guys. I mean, after all, we post pictures here for feedback and positive feedback is even better.
True to my nature... I have modified the framework since posting these pictures. The rear two vertical supports with the slight arc at the bottom looked good until I "test stretched" some fabric over them. The arcs looked like a small set of boobs in a tight sweater. Don't get me wrong, I like boobs... alot! But not the look I wanted on the back of my ride. I cut those out and ran straight tubes and the look is dead on.

Keep lookin' and tell your friends about the retard building a "ratted" VW roadster...

Fabric test fit

I am home alone and didn't have enough hands or clips to make it as tight as the final product will be. But, you get the general idea.
100_1700.jpg

Looks good!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to turn my project into a roadster & this would be a great way to keep it a little more usable.

Has anyone tried something like this using aircraft fabric? The nice part about ac fabric is you can shrink it and paint it.

Thanks to everyone... I am really happy with the way it flows on the car.

I will not put a back window in it. It is too much work and increases the potential for leaking. I only have basic stuff to do this kinda work. I am waiting to score a cheap back up camera to install tho'. Rat with a little technology :D

Latest posts

Back