Cast/ iron

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be drop forged steel, but a quick way to check is with a grinder, cast will throw a dark orange spark, and steel throws a bright orange spark. Start with a piece of steel you know is steel, and compare the two. Also, cast does not cut with a torch, it will cut with plasma.

thanks for the imput guys ,also i think a magnet will not stick to cast iron and i know it will on cast steel , and to beat all im a CWI and had been a welder for 27 years i wish i could sneak this $40,000 PMI gun we use here at the plant

Cast iron, steel, they are both ferris metals. They both rust and they both are attracted by magnets. Not to over simplify but steel is iron with carbon.

well im gonna give it a try either way ,im gonna heat it a litte and then either 7018,or mig it with hard wire ,then after it cools im gonna PT the welds for any heat zone cracks

As Blue Eyed Devil, and I have stated, it is more than likely Forged Steel. But as I see this thread progress, it brings me to another point. We all agree that our creations need to be safe, first off because I would hate to loose any of you guys. There is also the bystanders, and other people on the road. I like having them around too. We don't need any bad press either.
What it boils down too is if you don't know what you are doing, either find someone who does to help you, or learn much more about what you need to know. A front axle is not the place for trial and error, especally at 75 MPH.

{If it was cast, which it is probably not, welding with nickle rod is not the only thing you need to know. There is alot more to it than just running a bead. And there lies the problem of getting info from a forum. For something like a front axle please take the time to understand everything you need to know before just jumping in. Rant over.}

i agree with the safety of it all, and i will do it right the welding wasent the problem was to identify the material , and after further reading it looks like it will hold up,i have talked to a few local guys who have welded on them and they agree on how i plan to do this ,its just to weld the batwings cause i didnt like the bolton look, so thanks to all who have helped

Another way to ID a Forged piece is they will throw up a curl when drilled where cast has little chunkies.

Welding forged to steel batwings needs low hydrogen rods.. The bead is a little flexable and makes for a better transition that the real hard rods.

Turn the amps up and stick the rod in the puddle.. Drop n Drag stuff. works great. Heavy welding is a very satisfying thing.. Melting iron is just real basic life.

Good thing to do.

PA41

Latest posts

Back