Caster and oversteer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gacannon

I fought oversteer for about a year. I was ignorant of how much caster affected over steer. My 28 Ford PU Rod would jump into corners and scare the crap out of you. Running 1/8 toe.

Increased the caster a few degrees and bingo, it now takes some force on the wheel to steer the car into turns. Right turn is still more sensitive than the left, but both fall into the normal range. Don't really now what the exact angle is, but its not way out there.

Also, weaker shocks on the font will promote over steer significantly. Stiffer shocks will dampen over steer but then you get the rough ride. Panhard on the rear is critical to a traverse spring setup also.

Of all the things that affect over steer, I found caster was among the biggest factors. What a difference it made to increase the caster angle just a bit. I can run pete and jakes on the front now for a smooth ride with no over steer. I hate over steer!

It worked for me, but turning the suspension for handling with old school suspension requires attention. Car weight and balance will really play games with this. I guess thats why FORD had thousands of engineers to design suspension systems. Much more to it than meets the eye.

Mine drives safely now, very happy with it and would let others drive it now without worry of over steer issues.

gacannon

Latest posts

Back