Caught in a Conundrum

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm

Thanks again all for the hellos. I wasn't ignoring ya'll I just returned from another one of those dumb work trips (something has to pay for the hobbies).
I,ve been doing some research and I have the 253 splasher and was going to rebuild to make it stronger and faster.
From what I understand rebuilding a early 235 is making out of date technology (the oiling thing) just not leak. I love the fact that it has the org. motor but I want to move faster than my grandmother.
I'm thinking of a 350 motorswap and looking for that guy that did it and said to himself "Damit, I wish someone told me about this before I did it this way"
I know that I do some shaving on the firewall, replace tranny, and the 12 volt system is already done. I have some research to do on the rest of the drive train. I do plan on doing mod's in the future that dont come original so i'm not too worried about the numbers matching, keeping it original.
Before I need a publisher i'll finish. I'm just looking for advice.

Thanks,
Storm

Not another 350! Just my $.02. How about a little more different? Maybe that's the Ford-guy in me coming out, but I get real uninterested when I hear '...and a 350'. How about turbo? -I've always wanted to do a I6 turbo. 292 I6? -I've always liked I6's.

I think your choice of engine/trans combo depends a lot on what you're going to use your rod for. Cruising to the local show and shine ,short trips, or cruises go for different combos. Yeah, unusual combos are cool.

But if you're going to build a rod for long hauls I'd stick with a tried and true 350/350 or 302/C4 or even newer V6s or Import engines. Because when you're Olds 303 and Hydromatic breaks down in BFE and the local Goober has to order that hard to find part to get you back on the road again your gonna wish you had that 350/350.

All you guys are right, I guess it's just making a decision. I have always belived theres no replacement for displacement, but i've got that cool not-of-the-norm motor right now and rebuilding it isnt going to serve the cause. I agree with Sam though we are all here because we like people to look at our cars and say "You dont see that everyday". Thanks again Happy Holidays guys.

Storm

Latest posts

Back