Chain driven steering-what do you think about this?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
This was on a car at the Hollywood Hotrod Open house today.

I have seen it before and there is a company that makes a unit with a chain sealed inside. It would solve a lot of problems.

I have heard some dont think its safe.

I like it.

What do you think?

Attachments

• HollywoodHotrodsOpenHouse08143.jpg
    HollywoodHotrodsOpenHouse08143.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 107
  • HollywoodHotrodsOpenHouse08144.jpg
    HollywoodHotrodsOpenHouse08144.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 164
  • HollywoodHotrodsOpenHouse08145.jpg
    HollywoodHotrodsOpenHouse08145.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 122
Sweet!

Maddog,
Wow... that's some kinda car & I've seen a chain setup like that but I'd make sure that sucker was tight!!! Thanks for the pictures!!!

BoB

Depends on who did the engineering, and how much testing was involved.

Seen a few, NOT my first choice.

I would rather run gears.

The dirt circle track guys used to run a similar set up to go from the drivers side to the center of the car. They used to run kind of fast in a hard left turn. Worked for them.

I don't see a problem with it but I'm not an engineer. I've seen chain drive applications in which the chains and sprockets take plenty more abuse than that steering setup can provide.

Now that's one "sturdy duty" unit!! As been mentioned, for the pounding a chain drive takes and not fail, this is a pretty light duty application. I would think for the most part, a lot of the negative aspect is psychological. Put a rag joint up against it, and see who wins in the strength department. If a car manufacture installed it, it wouldn't seem so out of place. Everybody is just used to seeing a "direct drive" application. Sniper

I think one could be made up pretty easily using a timing chain and sprockets. You also have the opportunity to adjust steering ratios with your choice of pulley / sprocket size.

It looks like it would be a great way to go in a smaller rod. I'm seriously thinking of a modified build, I've found 2 different 26/7 T bodies, and this would work great to get a comfortable steering wheel angle.

This was on a car at the Hollywood Hotrod Open house today.

I have seen it before and there is a company that makes a unit with a chain sealed inside. It would solve a lot of problems.

I have heard some dont think its safe.

I like it.

What do you think?

WOW!! I love that car! As I've said before, aircraft style cockpits are kickass cool! :cool::cool:

The steering unit that DMW56 posted and sold by Speedway looks a whole safer to me though. The sealed unit opposed to an open one - well, it's just safer! Not as cool looking but I'd choose safe over cool any day when it comes to my life depending on it.

Thunder1

That stuff that I posted and the Mcmaster-Carr is pretty much bullet proof.We use lots of that stuff and it turns 24-7, 365 days a year.It never stops.I have replaceed # 60 and the#80 chains before.But were due to stretch over years of turning.Sprockets very seldom wear out.

I like it and think it would be safe.

From an engineering standpoint the force exerted on the chain would be pretty low. Much lower than the chain on a motorcycle.

If you think about it the force from the wheels would travel to the steering box and then to the chain and steering wheel.

If you will imagine grabbing the rear wheel of a motorcycle and exerting enough force by hand to break the chain you can see my point.

The force generated by a tire hitting something hard enough to break the chain would require an equal force placed on the steering wheel.

So basically unless you are incerdibly strong the wheel should slip from your grip before the chain would see enough stress to break it.

The double chain ensures that if one fails, or slips off the sprocket the other chain becomes the fail safe. The odds of this happening are pretty slim in reality. The chain on a bike can make many thousands of revolutions before stretching enough to fall off.

In a steering application the chain will most likely never see a full revolution and even if it did what would the rpm be? maybe less than 10 rpm. How many in a day full of driving maybe 100?

I would run it. Of course I would run the numbers if I were to do so but I bet they would come up green.

Chain Steering

Hey Maddog, I have built several bikes and trikes that used a primary chain and sprockets for remote steering location and never had any problems. The chain will wear out in time and loosen up, but I added a dirt bike chain tensioner to a couple of them, it's just a little messy with a open unit and they weren't much for looks,but they served their purpose. So a well built enclosed unit should be just right for your application.

Thanks.
I would definatly enclose it and add some kind of positive and adjustable tensioner. Any slack in the chain would translate into a loose wheel. I like that stuff tight.
Enclosing it would keep it clean, and make it a little stronger by putting the carrier bearings on both sides of each sprocket supported by the case enclosure.

That sounds like an enjoyable little project. When I get completely frustrated with everything else:eek:, I can go on a little tangent and make one.:D

Master Links

Most of your good H.D. primary chains DO NOT have a master link, but I have seen some of the foreign made ones with links. You might have to cut your chain to length, but instead of a master link, I've used full length hardened pins and peened the ends like a rivet head or maybe try a chevy timming chain and sprockets.

Latest posts

Back