Changed my mind I'm cuttin it up for scrap!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
Not the whole car, just the front end.
When I started buildin my shoebox my plan was to build a custom but I guess there's too much alcohol I mean racin fuel ..LOL..in my veins so I've decided to build it gasser style. I wasn't happy with the way the dodge suspension was workin out so I just whacked it out of there.
50fordgasser004.jpg

50fordgasser005.jpg

Added 2 x 4 tube to the frame and put a crossmember under the motor built motor mounts and radiator support.
50fordgasser008.jpg

50fordgasser028.jpg

Now that's what I like, a guy that is not afraid to make a decision.:D What axle do you have in mind to replace it?

Had a 46 Ford axle and wish bones in the shed so I'm usun them for the front en. Split the bones and punched holes in everything for that gasser look.
50fordgasser030.jpg

50fordgasser031.jpg

Got frame stuff welded up and axle mocked up.
50fordgasser033.jpg

50fordgasser034.jpg

Now all I need is LARGE sums of cash for shocks [coil overs] steering box, brakes, wheels and tires.

Way to go Fuzz!
I like to cut things up too! Looks like you have a mission to accomplish!
I like the "hole" thing!

Hi Gussett.. the holes are a long story. I wanted 1in. holes but don't have the equipment to do that so took everything to a local machine shop, he said he would do it for me. 7 weeks later he ain't done nothin but jerk me around so I bring the stuff home and do the best I can which is 1/2 in. holes in the radius rods. Then I tried the axle but just burned up some bits so I break out the torch and cut big holes. :D
Fuzz

Update on the shoebox

Bought some coilovers on ebay, new TCI for a good price. They are 14 inch nonajustable but they'll work on the front cuz I ain't payin big bucks for short ones.
shockmts50ford002.jpg

Made all my brackets from pieces layin around the shop.
shockmts50ford004.jpg

Upper and lower mounts fabbed up.
50fordshockmts2-2-08001.jpg

50fordshockmts2-2-08003.jpg

Only 4 pics per thread??

Got a bolt on disc brake from speedway

It aint quite bolt on but decent instructions on the small mods I had to do to make it work.
3-1-08006.jpg

These little gizmos is bearing adaptors that they say you can heat up and slide over the spindles, NOT!! Had to use the press but no biggie!
3-1-08004.jpg

Had to grind alittle notch in the area where the bottom bolts go thru to hold the steering arms on so I could get a wrench on em.
3-1-08005.jpg

3-1-08007.jpg

more

They said I would have to grind the spindles for some caliper clearance but I didn't see a problem so far.
3-1-08008.jpg

Its coming together slow but sure.
3-1-08009.jpg

Have a nice day!!:D

Very impressive work. I like all of it. When I saw the slots in the axle I thought you had a Bridgeport mill or something, they look nice. Do you think they will weaken the axle too much?

Don

Very impressive work. I like all of it. When I saw the slots in the axle I thought you had a Bridgeport mill or something, they look nice. Do you think they will weaken the axle too much?

Don

Thanks Don...I think most of the stress is between the shock mounts and the tires so the loss of any strength thru the center in incidental. I looked carefully when I first jacked the car up, watching for any flex but didn't notice any.
By the way I have no machine shop tools other than a 50 year old drill press and a 30 ton hydraulic press, my mig is 25 years old and most of my hand tools I inherited from my father, I'm 65 years old so you can figure how old my stuff is. But I get by!!:D

Latest posts

Back