Channeling the 32 betty

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkulture8

whats up guys i decided im going to complete the body before the drivetrain i figured while im trying to locate a early hemi n a four speed i should start the body i want to get her on the road as soon as possible so a dropped axel is gona have to wait unless one comes up. I want to channel this body real bad, i get the concept, i just dont get how to do it. do i take off the body and make a floor around the frame and bolt it to the body? I've heard of bracketing the body to the frame then making the flood but how do u lower the body to where u want it put some concrete blocks under neith the outside skirt of the body? i just wanna have a solid understanding of how to go and do this. thanks a lot

Cut the floor from the body and block the body up where you want it in relation to the chassis. You'll want to add some cross bracing inside the body before you cut the floor completely from the body. Then start reattaching the floor/subrails to the inside of the body at the new, higher location. Add vertical material to the door opening sill area and reinforce/brace any areas that were left weakened by the channeling prcedure. At least that's basically how I do it.

If you are building an entire new floor. Build your own subrails and subfloor structure and then replace the sheetmetal as needed.

whats up guys i decided im going to complete the body before the drivetrain i figured while im trying to locate a early hemi n a four speed i should start the body i want to get her on the road as soon as possible so a dropped axel is gona have to wait unless one comes up. I want to channel this body real bad, i get the concept, i just dont get how to do it. do i take off the body and make a floor around the frame and bolt it to the body? I've heard of bracketing the body to the frame then making the flood but how do u lower the body to where u want it put some concrete blocks under neith the outside skirt of the body? i just wanna have a solid understanding of how to go and do this. thanks a lot

Hey kkulture8, don't know if you have located a early model hemi as of this post but if you will call my brother at 1*-***-***-****and ask for Donnie, he has 4-5 setting in one of his garages and will sell either or all. He lives in NC. Yall can make arrangements on shipping.
Hope this helps and good luck on your build.

What I did when I channeled my body,46 Ford cab, and this was a first for me also, was to set my rails at how wide I wanted the rear of the frame to be, in my case was 35 inches outside, and at ride height, again mine is at 6 inches, set the body on the rails and decide how low I wanted the body to set. Mark the body and the firewall where the rails hit and start from there. After cutting out a couple of inches at a time in the four places I set the body back on the rails and checked the look. Mine come out where the body sets 1 inch below bottom of frame rails. If you are happy with the look, use the rails as a guide to start building the floor frame remembering to allow room for the body mount bushings because this will raise the body up off the rails in final assy. The rest is trial and error and believe me I have made some really nice errors.:D
Good luck and keep us posted with photos.

Last edited:
Ratcrazy, none of my business, but just watching your back. You might want to edit out your Brothers phone number from that post. Lots of craziness on the internet, and also your Brother will be getting calls 4 years from now asking "do you still have those hemis for sale?":eek:

You might want to PM it to the guy, that is way safer. Like I said, not my business, but the internet can be a scary place sometimes, if you know what I mean.:):)

Don

Thanks Don for the heads-up. I did as you suggested and edited the number. The guy did call him today and I think a price was set.

Didn't even think about causing dear ole' bro any trouble:eek: but you are right, tons of strange folks out there and anyone can be whoever they want to be on it.

Again thanks and God bless.

Glad you understood that I wasn't trying to get in your business, just looking out for you. :) With all the scam artists and 12 year olds in Nigeria who have $10,000,000.00 in the bank that you can claim only by sending $ 1000.00, :rolleyes:, you just can't trust anyone on here any more.

Don

Latest posts

Back