channeling

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped my F series 6 inches. Just enough to cover the frame, but I have seen them channeled as much as 10 inches with out being chopped. That was back in the day before everyone put double Z's in their frames.
Torchie.

Hi Nh. I had to raise my floor an inch and a half on a '36 Ford and the thing that caught me with my pants down is the height between the tops of the pedals and the bottom of the steering wheel. I had mocked up the interior a few times throughout the build but I was watching my headroom and seat back to firewall distance, but not my knee room. I have ridiculously long legs though. I could have put quite a bit more transmission hump and driveshaft tunnel in there. So if you place your steering wheel nicely while sitting in there in the right spot [making V-8 noises] you should be all right.

Hi Nh. I had to raise my floor an inch and a half on a '36 Ford and the thing that caught me with my pants down is the height between the tops of the pedals and the bottom of the steering wheel. I had mocked up the interior a few times throughout the build but I was watching my headroom and seat back to firewall distance, but not my knee room. I have ridiculously long legs though. I could have put quite a bit more transmission hump and driveshaft tunnel in there. So if you place your steering wheel nicely while sitting in there in the right spot [making V-8 noises] you should be all right.

Wow, that's a REALLY good point! I have just channels my 40 master about 3" I'll have to check that when I put my floor in!

Good advice right there.
I have had some "Leaners " ask me why I mock up my builds first. This is why.
Lots of blocks and clamps. Then I get in and make sure it all fits including me...
Torchie.

i think this winter i might lower the floor about 4 inches my prob is getting a seat i can fit in it.

were you the guy from stratham at On the plains in Kingston this year?
If so I would leave it the way you had it what a nice looking ride and you looked kind of tall

yes that was me thanks for the compliment. i prob should leave it, **** it's a rat rod not a cadillac.

i think this winter i might lower the floor about 4 inches my prob is getting a seat i can fit in it.

Is it the truck in your avatar? Many people use the 3rd seat from a mini van. fairly narrow and they sit close to the floor. On my truck if I use the stock bench seat it will have to be cut down in height so as to not block the rear window or I may go with some vintage buckets I have. I set up the car with the vintage buckets.
Or you can build your own....
Torchie.

On my dodge, I'm thinking about lowering the front floorboard lower than stock for a better seating position/more leg room.

Back in the day when channeling was invented , it was done to get the vehicle closer to the pavement . There were no air bags , dropped spindles and stock suspensions were hard to modify or replace . There was a big trade off in lost interior space . Now a days with all the lowering products available one can put a vehicle right down on the pavement with out channeling the body . You don't have to sacrifice comfort to go low .

Latest posts

Back