Cheap radiator?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humfleet

Where or from what late model car can I get a radiator that will fit a Model A style grille shell? I have looked at so many at the junk yard that I am almost cross eyed. Suggestion, please:cool:

Oh, by the way I am running a 265 sbc behind the rad.

A lot of guys are running mid-60's Mustang 3 row radiators. They fit pretty well and seem to do the job. My Son actually put one in his '29 shell then changed his mind and had an aluminum one built.

Here is how it looked when he had that in there. Nice part, at Autozone or similar you are only looking at about $ 130 new.

Don

Attachments

• dans old radiator.jpg
    dans old radiator.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 39
  • dans old radiator 3.jpg
    dans old radiator 3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 61
  • dans old radiator 4.jpg
    dans old radiator 4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 50
Yeah, I checked ebay for those and the price for a used one is a lot cheaper but sometime you never know what your getting even if you ask a lot of question. Are there any others. i saw some mini van radiators that had close to the right dimensions if the were turned upright. Any suggestion on this. thanks:cool:

I'd be careful about running some of the small late model radiators that were not designed to cool a V8. In addition to being designed to cool a smaller engine, many of today's engines run much hotter by design. Computer controlled systems allow these engines to maintain a level of efficiency not attainable with the older engines. Just something to consider. I think the 65/66 Mustang radiator is your best bet.

6 bang

I'm running a mid 60's 6 bang Chev truck radiator... fits just fine & kools my aprox 200hp 350 no prob!

BoB

radiator!

I'm building a 29 sedan as well and I bought a 64-67 mustang rad.(V-8)
I then narrowed the grill shell 2 in. and chopped it 2 in. to fit the rad. snug!

Attachments

• chopped grill side.jpg
    chopped grill side.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
  • chopped grill close up.jpg
    chopped grill close up.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 22
  • dr.veiw chopped grill.jpg
    dr.veiw chopped grill.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
The mid 60's Mustang radiator was barely adequate for the 289 in was in front of. Add air to the mix and you had a car that was always overheating. In L.A. County, you have to contend with constant stop'n go traffic. I would bite the bullet and get an aftermarket aluminum radiator.

The one in my 32' ran at 175, even on 100 degree days. Even though the fan was on a themostat, it never came on. When the radiator developed a leak, I switch to a copper/brass radiator and the fan would come on in stop'go traffic.

Last edited:
I used a summit dragrace aluminum 16x19 bought for 149.00 and my 302 never evr ran over 165 degrees w/160 degree thermostat even sitting in trafic on a 98 degree day it was awsome

Latest posts

Back