Cheaters

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmel

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of used tires/wheels from a friend. Among wheels/rings/disks that I'm completely in love with, they also include a set of MT Cheaters.

I went over there to take some pictures so I could post an ad for him, but for fun, decided that I wanted to see one of them on my car. BIG MISTAKE!!! I had zero intent to buy new tires/wheels, as I'm about to build an engine. But after putting the slicks on my '27, I absolutely fell in love with it, and have decided to buy them.

Besides wrapping my car around a tree after driving over a water puddle...are there any downsides to running slicks more or less daily? I've been told that they don't last very long - but tend to imagine that is when racing with them. He has less than 1k miles on these, and was told that their life is probably 1/2 or 1/3 gone with even that few miles on it, but i find it hard to believe.

This is the picture of the mistake. I've never liked really fat tires - like skinnies better, but something about these wheels/tires on my roadster made me decide that I should put my engine build on hold...that i MUST buy 'em. Hope to have them in about 2 weeks.

Attachments

• Cheaters.jpg
    Cheaters.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 110
Different composition....they wont last long.....plus things can get downright hairy withthem on...don't ask how I know!!!![ddd

Seems that the M/T's are a pretty soft compound..... you definitely have to be careful when cornering if there is a little loose gravel on the pavement, it's like driving on marbles - oh yeah, wet roads are dangerous, it takes very little water make them hydroplane.
Are the Coker cheater slicks a harder compound / longer lasting ??

when I was street racing I knew guys who ran circle track tires on the street. Dirt track tires. They are harder and they cut treads into them with a tire grooving tool. Seemed to hook up pretty good and lasted all summer.

I know what you mean about the looks of wide tires vs skinny, I am going back and forth all the time all of a sudden.

Gold03

That looks damn good, I dont blame you for buying them.

That is what I would run for wheels if I could afford them right now...
You can always run a different era correct street tire once the cheater slicks wear out too...

Thanks for the insight everybody...haven't scared me off, so I'm still happy...would like more life though.

That looks damn good, I dont blame you for buying them.

That is what I would run for wheels if I could afford them right now...
You can always run a different era correct street tire once the cheater slicks wear out too...

Luckily, his bigs that I'm also buying are period correct. Pie cut firestones 7.00-16's with 4" wide whites. I have wide white bias plys right now, but they are on 15 rally style wheels...these wheels def fit the era better than what I have. Additionally, they are friggen gorgeous. The only thing prettier was the hemi powered 30 coupe that the wheels were on before.

Just be prepared to drive on the feeder if it starts raining! I have them on my panel truck & decided to go for a cruise on a sunny day! Everything was fine until I went over a spot where a lil shower went over the freeway about 5 min B4 hand! The big beast turned nearly sideways & only my superior race car driving skills saved the old Tripper's keyster! I pulled over & sat on the side of the road until my heart came back in my chest & stopped beating 600 a minute! Other than that... :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

She's def a fair weather car...gets driven in 105 degrees and 30 degrees,.but if there is anything more than a 20 or 30% chance of rain, she stays in the garage. I've only been caught in one freak rain storm and that sucked ass. Was sunny when I left my house,.and was sunny when I got to my destination 20 minutes away, but hit freak heavy down pour in between. Imagine I'd be searching for cover at first hint of rain in these tires.

Who else makes WW cheaters? What do they run?

They look good on there. Maybe put them on for shows and then take them off for regular driving.

Until my 68 Mustang became too radical to drive on the street I would put 11 inch M & H slicks on it for the drags then take them off when I got home. One day we got home late from the track and I was too tired to change tires so I left the slicks on. Next morning I left for work and it started to rain on the way there. It was like driving on black ice, and at one point I did a 180 spin out, luckily not hitting anything. They came off that night and only went back on at the track.:eek:

Don

I have those same tires (with the whitewall tuned in) on my Anglia. When I ordered them, I had an extra pair of grooves cut into each tire. I've driven it in the rain without having the rear skate away on me.

Latest posts

Back