chevy small block questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bucket

hi again
we just ripped a 350 out of a 1980 camero
I have been seeing all types of hp numbers.
they say that maybe this one has about 235.
how come the early ones have almost 300 or more. What can I do to
get my pony count up without breaking the bank. My boy is taking this one into the local high school to rebuild it then it is going into a 28 hudson rat.
kind of looking for the biggest bang for the buck.

Smogger years...70's-80's bad HP numbers

For a cheap build use flat top pistons, 305 small chamber heads, a mild 270 cam top it off with a Weiand stealth intake and a 600 or 650 cfm Holley.

The heads have small valves but it's not gonna be a race car.

Not really gonna be a stump puller but you should be pretty happy with it.

I had one I threw together in a '81 3/4 ton 2WD to pull my car to the track...one day a friend said we should race it. First time out had a 15.2 1/4. It never changed. the next weekend put it in a bracket and won. Time never changed. Just put it in drive and go:) easy on the wallet

Horsepower ratings can be deceiving. In the late 70s early 80s the factories were trying to deal with non leaded fuel and government demands that fuel economy be improved. The manufacturers started lowering the HP numbers to please the bureaurats. So your 80 model 350 could be making alittle more than 235. But compression ratios were lowered along with milder cams did reduce power. I suggest you rebuild using an aftermarket cam, not too rdical and aluminum intake, Edelbrock has some excellent equipment know as the Performer series cams and intake as well as carburetors. Keep the dish top pistons to keep compression down for todays lousy gas. If you can find some later model 350 vortec or fastburn heads they will give you good increase in power for cheap.

Horsepower ratings can be deceiving. In the late 70s early 80s the factories were trying to deal with non leaded fuel and government demands that fuel economy be improved. The manufacturers started lowering the HP numbers to please the bureaurats. So your 80 model 350 could be making alittle more than 235. But compression ratios were lowered along with milder cams did reduce power. I suggest you rebuild using an aftermarket cam, not too rdical and aluminum intake, Edelbrock has some excellent equipment know as the Performer series cams and intake as well as carburetors. Keep the dish top pistons to keep compression down for todays lousy gas. If you can find some later model 350 vortec or fastburn heads they will give you good increase in power for cheap.

Both of them are correct. Maybe you could use a produced and tested kit such as Edelbrocks or someone like them. I have a 77 Vette with the stock 350.......SLOW!! only advertises 180 h/p and it's probably right, but it's never been apert and still runs great! You can't beat SBC's!![cl...CR

Fuzz is right with the vortec heads, brand new are fairly cheap...but there is only one aftermarket intake and it is from the edelbrock performer series.[S or is there more now:confused:

thank you gentle men for your response
I have a few months to digest it and look for goodies.
Swap meet season is just around the corner so maybe some deals can be had
while my boy is rebuilding the motor

Latest posts

Back