Chicago Rookie

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooligan514

Hey all from Chicago. I'm 28 picking up my first rat rod project sometime next week. 34 ford pick up. Probably going to need lots of help with it lol. Got a fresh 302 in it with a th350. Anyone from Chicago here? How hard is it to get plates on them with no vin or title just bill of sale? Thanks for all the help

welcome

welcome to RRR. cheapest way to get a title would be too find a title being sold online somewhere that matches the year make and model of your car. People sell them as "collector items". I would try to get your title situation worked out before you begin to put alot of money and work into the car. Good luck... can't wait to see this build. Post pictures when you get it.

Edit: if you don't go that route for the title I think you can get a builders title (or something along those lines). But then your car would be considered a 2011 and you would have to pass emissions and you won't be able to put antique plates on it. Keep that in mind.

-Chase

welcome to RRR. cheapest way to get a title would be too find a title being sold online somewhere that matches the year make and model of your car. People sell them as "collector items". I would try to get your title situation worked out before you begin to put alot of money and work into the car. Good luck... can't wait to see this build. Post pictures when you get it.

Edit: if you don't go that route for the title I think you can get a builders title (or something along those lines). But then your car would be considered a 2011 and you would have to pass emissions and you won't be able to put antique plates on it. Keep that in mind.

-Chase

I was thinking same thing got a guy that has titles my only consern is what if they check the vin when changing the title from a different state?

I was thinking same thing got a guy that has titles my only consern is what if they check the vin when changing the title from a different state?

its a risk you would have to take. Not sure if it's punishable or not. You could always just say that its the title the guy gave you when you bought the vehicle. Over here in texas they have never checked anything on my vehicles. Just put it in the computer and sent me a title. Only thing is you won't have the vin on the car so if your car ever gets stolen, there's no way of proving its yours. Maybe you should also get a vin plate stamped somehow and put that on the car. Shouldn't be too hard.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. the guy im buying the car from said he has been doing that for 30+yrs never a problem. and is 300 for a 35 title a good price?

welcome to the RRR. I have family in Chi Town. They live down town in the corn cob buildings.

This is what im picking up

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 15
That's awesome! and you can't really put a price on those. If you need it, you need it. 300 is less than I paid for mine. It's cheaper and easier than going the other route.

also, i hope you aren't over paying for the truck since it doesn't come with a title. Thats a good bargaining point.

Welcome man... im moving down to bucktown on monday (from the burbs) unfortunately my truck project will slow to a every couple of weekend kinda thing till its done. It will continue to reside at my parents place

Hey all from Chicago. I'm 28 picking up my first rat rod project sometime next week. 34 ford pick up. Probably going to need lots of help with it lol. Got a fresh 302 in it with a th350. Anyone from Chicago here? How hard is it to get plates on them with no vin or title just bill of sale? Thanks for all the help
Did you get the title thing worked out?
Is that the original frame if so the vin number is stamped on the drivers side frame rail about 8" to 10" back from the front. You may have to clean really good to see it

Jim

Latest posts

Back