CHOP- cut off blade vs sawzall

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hack saw!

Rusty,
I prefer a wide blade hack saw... MUCH more control. It takes more time but gives a better area to weld back together. Just my opinion & I only use the most hi-tech tools available!!! :D:D:D

BoB

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 101
I use a combination of tools.
Always use the right tool at the right time, or use what ya got, as long as the job gets done!! But it seems to get done fast and better with the right equipment.

serious? seems hard as hell..

Rusty.
Very serious! I use the hack saw in the foto. The guys gave me the devil for it cause it's so old & rusted but... I say it's just gittin' broke in. I could never get very good control with a sawzall so i do it the old fashion way and a cutoff whel is way too slow!

BoB

I use a pneumatic hacksaw, pneumatic 3" cut off wheel it uses a real thin wheel, and the Sawzal.

Attachments

• 00113.gif
    00113.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 95028.gif
    95028.gif
    27 KB · Views: 9
  • tylertool_2016_280619268.gif
    tylertool_2016_280619268.gif
    3 KB · Views: 9
Horses for courses

Tripper Does Moses know you have his hack saw:eek:

I use various too dependant on application... std hack (cant find big blades like Trippers in UK), air hack or stainless steel cutting disc on grinder - S/S discs are sameish compound as std disc BUT a lot thinner 1mm as oposed to 3+mm so finer/more acurate cut and quicker too.

We use a variety, depending on what we are cutting. By far, our favorite tool is our horizontal/vertical bandsaw. The quality of our work has come up 200% since buying it. Dan also uses his air saw a lot for delicate cuts in thin stuff. I still don't have the feel for it, but he does very well with it.

We also drag out our sawzall quite a bit. We used it recently to shorten Dan's frame, and sometimes we will clamp an odd shaped piece to the welding table and cut it to shape with the sawzall, rather than spend time clamping it into the bandsaw.

Some people love a chop saw, but after the blade disintegrated on me that one time, I have been leary of them. I recently put both of them into the dumpster because they hadn't been used in years. To me the cuts are also not exactly straight. Maybe one of the expensive watercooled ones is different though.

I have also been using the air shears a lot lately, doing the interior on my Dodge truck. I get pretty straight cuts with it, but Dan hates it. He likes the air nibbler instead, and I have trouble with that one.

Our plasma cutter gets used very rarely. D*** thing throws so many sparks I keep getting burns on my legs and feet. :eek: I know it is because I don't know how to use it, because I see them cutting stuff on the car shows, and it is like magic. I just have to start practicing more with it, and also to wear more than just shorts and tennis shoes when working with it.:eek:

Finally, I do use a hacksaw occasionally, like the other night when I had to cut teeth into the steering arm of Dans car, but aside from that it just wears me out.

Oh, and I do use my torches pretty much..........more for heating and bending, but also to flame cut big brackets and stuff like that.

Don

Well Don,

I start with an air saw......fool with the air cut off wheels.....progress to the sawzall........pull out the porta-band.........and if I can't get it with any of those.......I air up the plazma cutter.

But not always in that order.

Ratty 46

Don,
Do you have a picture of that saw?

Thanks,
ISore

I looked through all the pictures in my computer and didn't have a good shot of it in any of them, but here is the same one from Jet Tools website. There are more expensive, commercial units out there, but this thing has been flawless and has cut more steel than I could ever count. It only takes about 30 seconds to switch over from horizontal to vertical too.

Don

jetbandsaw.jpg

Methuselah... the topper chopper!!! ; - >

Tripper Does Moses know you have his hack saw:eek:

That's funny! Well does he? :eek:

No... I actually bought it from Methuselah when he sold it on daBay... where I smartly snagged it!!! Dudes... I'm talkin' *old school* here and you guys will be so jealous when I get this sucker pin-stripped!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• hacked1.jpg
    hacked1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 23
i used a grinder with a 7inch metal cutoff blade, worked great. i chopped off 6", now to weld it up

Attachments

• coupehome 009.jpg
    coupehome 009.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 27
  • chopped 004.jpg
    chopped 004.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 43
  • chopped 006.jpg
    chopped 006.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back