Chop on or off the frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider

AaHyee! I got Tex Smith's book (How to Chop Tops). Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to chop before or after it is mounted to the frame?

I did mine off the frame but that would add some ridgitity to it so I think it would be better. It's probably best to leave that to the point when you're done working inside it as the scrapes and bumps on my back and head can attest to:D.

Sean

Yep, bolt it down to something firm and also brace the interior with some old tubing or even angle iron. You want to make some crisscross bracing to keep the body from flexing when you cut the top off. They will move around more than you can imagine.

Here is how we did my 39 Dodge and Dans '49 Ford.

Don

dodgemorechop5-3.jpg

dans49chopstarted010-1.jpg

i did mine off the frame, only because i didnt have a frame to start with. I actually think it would be easier to do it a few inches above the ground, makes it easier to reach everthing. Like everybody says, get is level, square, and brace the heck out of the cab at dash level.

What are you chopping?

Sometimes the body wants to take off
and distort when you cut the roof loose.

Bolted to the frame, with added braces,
you won't have to worry about it being twisted.

You for sure know it will fit the frame.

Latest posts

Back