Chop the top on 53 Chevy truck... what to do about side windows?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62ChevyII

I have a 53 Chevy truck that I am thinking about chopping the top on. Not radically, probably 3 or 4". Since it has wing windows, what is a good way to put side windows in it without spending a bunch of money? Will the earlier style window tracks that had one piece windows fit in these doors? I'd like to keep these doors since they are in decent shape and they have the push button door handles so if anyone knows how to go about getting side windows in them after chopping I'd sure appreciate it.

Why not cut down the original tracks and wings? That's my plan (so far).

Yeah, I've been kickin' that around too. It would be alot of work but do-able. It would be really nice to just loose the wings especially if I end up laying the windshield.

I figured with all the chopped tops on rat rods, someone would have an idea or two on making economical side windows and tracks.

Tex Smith's Chopped Tops book has page or two about wings, but if your laying the pillars back, it might be easier to go with a single window.

Thanks for the input and links guys. Sneaky, I saw those when I was searching for answers on chopping. It's a shame nobody seems to ever cover the side glass part of the project.

I plan to pick up Tex Smith's book soon, I've heard lots of good things about it.

Shea, I am a member on the stovebolt forum. I hadn't thought to look there because it seems like most people on that site are more into restoring that custom stuff. I will do a search over there just in case.

I'm a glassman and I've done the conversion to the 1 piece door glass on these pickups. It's not overly difficult, I believe you can use the same regulator but with a longer bottom glass mounting channel. The one I did several years ago I put in power windows so I didn't have to fuss with it, but if I remember right, it can be done with the stock hardware.

Once you gut the door of the vent windows and all the channeling and weatherstrips/fuzzies, I think it's the same shell as the earlier ones where they only did have 1 piece of glass in the doors. I can get channeling in 6' sticks and up, and that's what I used for the run channels. Same with the horizontal fuzzy strips, cut and fabricated into the correct length and shape from stock lengths.

Like I said, I put power windows in it so I didn't use the old regulators, I'm kinda speculating that their stock positioning in the door will work. If anything, you may have to move them forward a couple inches.

I would recommend doing the fabricating for the regulators and the channeling, and then build a "window" out of 1/4" masonite or something similar that you can whittle into the correct size and shape of glass that you're gonna need. I have the factory patterns for the stock glass, and could send you a template of that to start with, then you can cut some off the bottom till you have the right height, then send it back to me and I'll cut you some glass for it.....

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM! I'll be glad to help if I can.

It would be alot of work but do-able. It would be really nice to just loose the wings especially if I end up laying the windshield.

Granted I'm talking about a different year, but the concept should be the same unless the shape of the back of the '53 side window gets changed when chopping.

When I cut 3-1/2" out of my '58, I wanted the vent windows so I cut the frames down:
dsc01736.jpg

dsc01737.jpg

Here's a comparison:
dsc01743.jpg

This allowed me to use the existing tracks and the side glass in its stock form. They just don't have to roll up as far.

dsc04527_0.jpg

I know a lot of folks like the single-piece side window look, but it wasn't what I wanted.

dsc04525.jpg

Not my reason for doing it this way but as a plus I was only in it for the cost of the vent glass and replacement weatherstrip with no further aggravation.

There's more pictures in the gallery if you're interested.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back