Chop Top Help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ry M

Need some help here guys!

We are looking to chop the truck a little. Something like 3 or 4 inches. Unfortunately it's not just cutting the A and B pillar. We are trying to figure out a way to chop it 3 or so inches and keep the "Troy National's Laundry + Cleaners" paint (in our opinion the coolest part of the truck). Cutting it right down the middle would result in cutting right through the Troy National's writing. Then having a huge weld through it. :(

Saw a truck build on here where the guy cut a notch in the back so he could keep the full back window, but still chop the top. Wondering if that would work on our panel.

I put together the idea I had of a cut line. Don't know if it would work, or be the best way to do it. Any help or suggestion on how to cut it and keep the writing would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some pictures I edited with the idea i had. The orange is obviously what we would take out.

4825163729_baf8d4b537_b.jpg

4825164341_f772c9808f_b.jpg

4825773110_6bb1a151ae_b.jpg

That's probably the best line to save the side panel, then drop the top straight down so the rear of the door frame lines up and tilt the front posts back. That way you dont have to do any cutting on the top other than a slice above the front window to pull it out when slanting the A pillars. You'll have to do some work to the rear quarters to bring them forward as the roof will sit ahead some and restore the side reveal to get back the curve at the rear of the side panel. The rear doors should be some fun though I agree the windows would look best unchopped as they are already small. Another idea would be to move the whole rear section ahead to line up with the new forward position of the roof by making a stepped vertical cut ? Then the rear door chop would be simpler, just cut the chunk out and weld em' back together.

thanks for the response! gives me a head ache just thinking about chopping it :D. oh how I wish it was a truck at times.

I'm unclear to the whole slanting the A pillars. Would it be easier and better to just bend the A pillars instead of adding a piece going across the roof to line up the cuts? I get what you mean when you say tilt the front posts back, but..."That way you dont have to do any cutting on the top other than a slice above the front window to pull it out when slanting the A pillars" is what confuses me.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. This is my first attempt at cutting a top.

Thanks Ry

You have to put a relief cut in just about any top chop. When you lower the roof onto the windshield post it won't line up. A simple slice of a few inches will allow you to expand the posts that are attached on the top to now line up with the lowers. Then weld up the cut and you're done! Good luck with your project...CR

Ry...you may not like what I'm about to say. Chopping the top of a panel truck is a major undertaking even for an experienced rod builder. First because of it size you will need help just to handle the pieces. The long welds required to finish it will present some big problems with warping and hammer welding would be a must. I could go on but what I'm suggesting is that you hold off the chop and work on the mechanicals, get the truck running and road worthy so you can enjoy it sooner. You can chop it later. Maybe find some local rodders that have done this before and are willing to help you. I'm just afraid you'll get dicouraged and give up if you get in over your head. ...sorry to be so negative but I've been there...:eek:

Ry...you may not like what I'm about to say. Chopping the top of a panel truck is a major undertaking even for an experienced rod builder. First because of it size you will need help just to handle the pieces. The long welds required to finish it will present some big problems with warping and hammer welding would be a must. I could go on but what I'm suggesting is that you hold off the chop and work on the mechanicals, get the truck running and road worthy so you can enjoy it sooner. You can chop it later. Maybe find some local rodders that have done this before and are willing to help you. I'm just afraid you'll get dicouraged and give up if you get in over your head. ...sorry to be so negative but I've been there...:eek:

Sage advice right there...

:(

haha

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sure would be a challenge, and not 100% sure it would be worth it. We shall see what happens I guess.

Thankyou all!

Very good advice. I have chopped a lot of top and went and did a 1949 Ford panel. Never again.

I ended up slicing the roof in two places. Once in between the A & B post and the second time between the B post and the rear posts, You do not want to change the radius of the rear doors. Also had to slice the roof the long way.

That was not the bad part. It was when I started welding every thing back together. You want to talk about oil caning. ended up doing a lot of hammering and shrinking. Never did get it perfect.

If I had to do it again I would use metal strips behind the panels with the new Auto body glues. The only welding would be at the post.

I was the one who really wanted to chop it. My dad not so much.

The idea he always had was to cut a bunch off the bottom of the truck then drop the whole body down. We would love to just make it run and lower it, but the bottom of the sides all the way around the truck is straight gone. Nothing there at all. Everytime you open the door more and more goes away.

We are looking for a 73-87 short bed frame we can use. Then we will just run the 46's title so we don't have to deal with smog :D.

Bad news is that we have to make a living before we can start it up, so as of now we are building other cars.

I will definitely be putting up a build thread when I begin. It will mainly be me doing the build, with a bit of help from my dad. I will definitely be learning a lot on this project. Also would like to get help from everyone on here. Seems to be some helpful down to earth people on this board.

Thanks everyone for the guidance and knowledge!

I must agree, a panel is a very hard chop indeed.
Now if you had a few of the old customizer at your disposal, then it could be done. But even those guys don't usually tackle anything to difficult by themselves unless they have other brains to pick for ideas and solutions.
Just drawing a bunch of straight lines isn't doing to do it I'm afraid. Don't start cutting unless you're willing to scrap a perfectly nice panel.
Fix her up and drive it the way it is.

Don't start cutting unless you're willing to scrap a perfectly nice panel.

Yep! We have already discussed that. Last thing we want is to cut something then realize we shouldn't have.

At the moment we are looking for a short bed frame from like a 72 or so chevy truck. Here is something I did on Photoshop. Kind of an idea I like. What's everyone think? Do-able? Stupid to even think about doing? Also if anyone wants any pictures photoshoped, let me know. I'm pretty new to it, but I'll give it a go.

4856426054_141682be79_b.jpg

A full size truck frame will be WAY too wide for your panel. The track width won't work at all. You would be much better suited with a S-10 chassis.

Yep! We have already discussed that. Last thing we want is to cut something then realize we shouldn't have.

At the moment we are looking for a short bed frame from like a 72 or so chevy truck. Here is something I did on Photoshop. Kind of an idea I like. What's everyone think? Do-able? Stupid to even think about doing? Also if anyone wants any pictures photoshoped, let me know. I'm pretty new to it, but I'll give it a go.

4856426054_141682be79_b.jpg

Less section - so the trim line doesn't pass through the fender. Otherwise its top heavy. Doubt you could take that much out and still have room for a motor.

Latest posts

Back