Ck this lead sled on daBay!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Merc. I like everthing except for the Continental Kit in the back. My dad is wanting a 49-51 Merc right now. I think he may sell off one of his other cars and start looking for one. I have a feeling it will be a project car though.

I might get shot for this, but I've never really liked continental kits on any car. I just think they mess up the lines.:rolleyes:

I saw one on a late 80's Mercury Cougar XR-7 yesterday and it might have been the most god awful looking thing I have ever seen.

I saw the same thing. An old lady pulled into the drugstore one day when I was shopping there and had about an '89 Cougar. On the back was this hideous contintental kit. I had to say something, so I asked her if she had that added on, and very proudly she said "Yep. Really dresses it up, don't you think??" I think I made some kind comment because I didn't have the heart to say anything mean.

The only other thing on that '50 Merc that I didn't care for were the mirrors. They just look "added on" or something to me.

Don

kids nowadays "mumble mumble" I guess you just had to have lived back when a long swanky Eldorado oozed by with a factory option
kit making it another foot and a half longer.Only in America baby!
082507JohnForceCruisenight010-vi.jpg

i'm guessing a continental kit is the spare wheel on the back end. I'd probably never put one on anything i own but i kinda like them on some cars. Gives it a classy look (not that class means it has a real use of any kind :D).

And u didn't get a picture of it!?!? ; - >

Granted, a Rookie mistake. I was just going to pick up a sandwich before going home to walk the dogs.

The conti kit on the back of that orange caddy looks pretty dope. Imagine trying to parallel park that thing.

Speaking of parallel parking.......does anyone remember "curb feelers?" We had a '48 Buick convertible, big ole Roadmaster, and my Dad put them on it so my Mom could park the thing. I remember being about 8 and looking over the side of the car to tell her how close we were to the curb, then you would hear those little feelers scraping the concrete.

My Mom was NOT a good driver. The car had electric windows, and one time she was backing up with her head out the window and got her neck caught when her elbow pushed the up button. :eek::eek::D:D

Don

I grew up in the 70s in a pretty crappy urban neighborhood, some of the sketchier cats were still using the feelers to protect their Dayton spoked wheels.

Latest posts

Back