Cleaning a gas tank?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

I am temporarily re-using the gas tank from my rambler. It`s in good shape, but it has a bunch of crud on the inside. I can`t get my arm through the 2.5" hole for the sending unit, so manually cleaning it is out :rolleyes:

So, how do you guys clean out old gas tanks? I am on a major budget for this car, and can`t get a fuel cell just yet(looking for a larger one, 5 gallons of gas would barely get me from my house to town :eek:). Help!

Thanks,
Johnson

Is the gas tank out of the car? Maybe you could flip it upside down and use a pressure washer to get all the crap knocked loose from the bottom and washed out.

Once out of the car put a chain in the tank and shake it. That will help knock the sclae off. Flush it with water then etch the insides with Muratic Acid. Be careful with the acid, use gloves, goggle/face shield. When done pour the acid into a bucket and neutralize it with baking soda to dispose. Get a tank sealer that is compatible with ethanol fuels and seal the insides.

Once out of the car put a chain in the tank and shake it. That will help knock the sclae off. Flush it with water then etch the insides with Muratic Acid. Be careful with the acid, use gloves, goggle/face shield. When done pour the acid into a bucket and neutralize it with baking soda to dispose. Get a tank sealer that is compatible with ethanol fuels and seal the insides.

+2

Sometimes I just check a couple of handfulls of good sized nuts and bolts in there. I have put a gallon of mistery oil in there for a day or so to break up sludge beforehand.

I use gravel, and if you have a swing set around you can center the tank up in the swing and shake the crap out of it...it really does a good job.

take it to a radiator shop. they'll hot tank it for you, it's not real expensive but it does work very well...

Anyone else ever done this? It would probably be a little more expensive then cleaning it myself, but it would save me a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the input guys.

Anyone else ever done this? It would probably be a little more expensive then cleaning it myself, but it would save me a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the input guys.

I called recently about having a CJ jeep tank done at local radiator shop, they wanted 80 bucks, new tank is 90-100, I used the chain and boiling soapy water trick, worked fine and nobody knowz I'm cheep!:D

You're not cheap.....

I called recently about having a CJ jeep tank done at local radiator shop, they wanted 80 bucks, new tank is 90-100, I used the chain and boiling soapy water trick, worked fine and nobody knowz I'm cheep!:D

Just Finacially responsible.....;)

gas tank cleaning

We use to use the radiator shop all the time but in the last few years the price has gone through the roof, epa. disp. fees for the waste water, the last tank we had cleaned last year was $100, use the chain method with a little soapy water, it really works.

If you're worried about residual crap in the tank

Eastwood sells a interal fuel tank sealer for about 40 bucks..... seals a standard fuel tank...18 - 20 gallons.... I'm told it works well.... but the chain and soapy water trick really gets the stuff loosened up and works well to flush the loose stuff out...... then you can seal if it you're concerned......

I`m not really worried about sealing it. I only plan on using until I can dig up a cheap fuel cell. I`ll try the chain and soapy water, I just don`t want to find a rust slurry like when I first opened up the tank.....

DON'T

If you do seal it, do not rinse with anything but water! I bought a rod that the owner said had been sealed. The problem was he had rinsed it with Kerosene before he sealed it and the sealer only stuck in places. I had to cut out the top of the tank (after boiling for 2 days) and scrape it loose. I'm sure you know better but..........just sayin.

Actually I didn`t :eek: I hadn`t really gotten that far, I am looking for a fuel cell before I put anything into the current tank. Since I`m getting rid of it anyway, I doubt I will go through the trouble. Thanks for the warning though ;)

Latest posts

Back