cleaning out your ride and the hantavirus

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yone187

I just pulled out the shop vac and cleaned out the Chevy.
Used a respirator gloves and threw my work clothes in the wash right away. I am no expert on rat poop but it seemed like they have not been in the truck for a long time nowo.. I cleaned most of it out but its still a little dusty I am wondering if I should be afraid.

I have done bio-decontamination for hantavirus at work. You should spray everything down with a 10% bleach water solution and let it sit for 30 minutes before cleaning it up.

The biggest culprit for hantavirus are deer mice in the SW. Only 80 cases of HPS have been recorded in NM since 1974 and only 2 cases last year. So I would say your chance of getting HPS is pretty slim.

But it is something everyone should be aware of when cleaning out an old vehicle.

Last edited:
I sprayed it down with some medicide then vacuumed all the crap out...
I am thinking of getting a pressure washer and spraying the rest of the 30yr old dust out after I pull the gas tank and bench out.

I have done bio-decontamination for hantavirus at work. You should spray everything down with a 10% bleach water solution and let it sit for 30 minutes before cleaning it up.

The biggest culprit for hantavirus are deer mice in the SW. Only 80 cases of HPS have been recorded in NM since 1974 and only 2 cases last year. So I would say your chance of getting HPS is pretty slim.

But it is something everyone should be aware of when cleaning out an old vehicle.

That is pretty much what I was going to say, but you said it better. :D

take a spray bottle and mix water and bleach and wet it down. its the dust you DONT want to breathe, only cases I've heard of were in New Mexico and So. West Colo. Deer Mices are the carriers.

take a spray bottle and mix water and bleach and wet it down. its the dust you DONT want to breathe, only cases I've heard of were in New Mexico and So. West Colo. Deer Mices are the carriers.

Heck if I could read I would of seen that dmw56 already answered your question I just need to go back to bed and take another nap!!

Latest posts

Back