cleaning oxidized ID plate

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

the ID plate on our truck is pretty oxidized - and it has a bit of sealer on it from the previous owner rolling something on it (POR15?) to seal it from getting rustier. What is the best route to go about cleaning this w/o taking off the original lettering too much? I'd like to get that sealer off the bottom part and hopefully be able to read the rest of it a bit better. No looking for perfect, just better..... (I edited out the chassis no. since this is on my public flickr)

8892492471_9b9c4c3252_c.jpg

I'd try gently scraping the POR off the areas you know are bare underneath, that may tell you how hard or if you can scuff it off without damaging the original paint. I'd be wary of using and thinners or solvents, once the original paint is gone, it's gone. Plastic scraper maybe so it won't gouge the aluminum.
Probably a VERY light buff with a fine Scotchbrite pad to remove JUST the loose oxidation then a coat of clear should brighten it up a bit.
Try just wetting it first and rubbing it with your bare hands to get the loose stuff off - when it is wet, that should give you an idea how it will look if you clear coat it.

you miight try going to your local sign decal stop and see if they cant take your plate and make a negative sticker of it, have them make two, put one on make sure it likes up properly and then soda blast it and repaint it. unless your a stickler for oem stuff. just a thought , alot of work though

I didn't know that would even be possible! I'll probably just leave it as good as I can get it though. It's not going to be a show truck anyhow.......

Soak it overnight in Evaporust, available at Northern Tool. It will remove the oxidation and make the painted parts look like new. I soaked some 40 Dodge cowl lights and the metal came out looking like the day it was made and the black paint was untouched and shiny.

You will have to put some rust preventative on it right away though as the bare parts will start to rust again immediately. I used WD 40, but Gibbs and other stuff like that would probably work too.

Don

you miight try going to your local sign decal stop and see if they cant take your plate and make a negative sticker of it, have them make two, put one on make sure it likes up properly and then soda blast it and repaint it. unless your a stickler for oem stuff. just a thought , alot of work though

Great idea!

I would offer that it would be wise to keep pics of it's current condition prior to refinishing should you need to provide any ownership/title info to your state.

Great idea!

I would offer that it would be wise to keep pics of it's current condition prior to refinishing should you need to provide any ownership/title info to your state.

you do decal type work IronRat? The lettering is VERY small on the plate, I think it would need a total restoration. I have seen OEM plates (unstamped) on ebay for $500 - but there is NO chance I'd spend that kind of money for them, LOL.

I used fine scotch bright with prep-sol then a finishing compound and clear coated it with a semi flat clear. I don't have a before pic but it was unreadable when I started and probly wasn't as bad as yours, not real sure of the black stuff on the bottom of yours, this one the was kinda all white looking. Wish I had taken before pics. Just be very careful and you should be able to bring that back.

Attachments

• 1121131539a.jpg
    1121131539a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1121131539.jpg
    1121131539.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
the black on the bottom is POR15 I believe (former owner put it over the whole truck)

Latest posts

Back