Clothes do make the man !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even funnier.....

What's so funny is, I can do the same thing :)

People don't recognize me sometimes out of uniform.....they aren't used to seeing me in blue jeans and ratty sweat shirts or t's and my ball caps....walk right past me.... now that I think of it....probably a good thing!!:D

dressed up, a clean pair of blue jeans, a white t-shirt, and flip flops. any other time it will be workboots or snicker, blue jeans and a dark t-shirt.

Me too.

I retired 1 year ago. Made 3 rules: not gonna ever wear a tie, not gonna stuff my shirt tail in, not EVER gonna fly again. I was always in sales or management positions and had to dress appropriately. No more. I really don't care what anyone thinks...spent my life doin' that.:p

Funny how we are so similar. Car t shirts and jeans....yeah, that's me, too.:cool:

I got a call today,for a job interview on Wednesday. I've been a boilermaker for over 30 years and have never had to go to an interview. Used to get hired at the gate or at a beer joint. The lady said "dress appropriately". I'm wondering what that means. Do I go in my non-existant sport suit ,a tee shirt and shorts, or work clothes?? Maybe sport coat, shorts and steel toed boots. I'm just lost on this one.:confused:

Well, at one time that meant a jacket, nice slacks, a dress shirt, and tie. But things are relaxed a bit more these days, unless you are applying for a job where a suit is your daily dress at work. When I interviewed for a job, or was hiring someone, I liked to see dress slacks or dockers, a nice shirt with buttons, either some dress shoes or loafers, and sometimes an optional tie.

Now this will start a controversy, but if you have earrings and other piercings take them out. Also, if you have a lot of tats, wear a long sleeve shirt. I know that those things do not define a good employee from a bad employee, but most employers want to see clean cut. The first 30 seconds of an interview are the most important, so look him or her in the eye, shake hands firmly and confidently, and generally be someone who they can envision as fitting into the company.

Don

Well, at one time that meant a jacket, nice slacks, a dress shirt, and tie. But things are relaxed a bit more these days, unless you are applying for a job where a suit is your daily dress at work. When I interviewed for a job, or was hiring someone, I liked to see dress slacks or dockers, a nice shirt with buttons, either some dress shoes or loafers, and sometimes an optional tie.

Now this will start a controversy, but if you have earrings and other piercings take them out. Also, if you have a lot of tats, wear a long sleeve shirt. I know that those things do not define a good employee from a bad employee, but most employers want to see clean cut. The first 30 seconds of an interview are the most important, so look him or her in the eye, shake hands firmly and confidently, and generally be someone who they can envision as fitting into the company.

Don

...and smile :)

Don, Why would that be a controversy? Happens to be true. Just because someone doesnt like the truth doesnt make it less true.

Yeah, I know, but since I am older I realize I have lost touch with how younger people are today. Piercings and tats are more accepted and normal than they were in my time. (My own Sons have an earring or two and my Son's GF has a few tats). So I didn't want my advice to come across as preachy or judgemental.

I was just trying to give him the best shot at getting this job and some advice from someone who has sat on the other side of the hiring table. As unfair as it seems, usually when an applicant comes in with piercings on their face showing and tats all over their body the first impression is "rebel" and companies don't want rebels, they want people who conform. I've seen so many people walk in whose appearance immediately blew them out of the running, and they might have been the best person for the job otherwise.

My Sons have a very good friend who is heavily tattoo'd and he wanted to get a job in their industry (property management). He had always worked as a laborer but hurt his back and wanted an inside job. My Sons coached him, got him to wear long sleeves for the interviews and he got the job. Maybe it is phony and you are not being yourself doing that, but the goal is to put your best foot forward and get the job.

After I was hired for one job years ago my new boss told me the reason he picked me was because I came dressed in a pinstriped suit that he really liked. :) So you never know what will make the person doing the hiring say yes, you are hired.

Don

Don, I totally agree but realistically lots the guys doing the interviewing for blue collar jobs now have tatts or piercings. It's still a good idea to look your best and look conservative if you want a to interview for a decent job.

All my shirts and ball caps used to have writing, especially during my biker phase. Then I got to the point I didn't want to be a billboard for anyone anymore. I still have hotrod shirts and wear one occasionally and I'm never seen bareheaded, ever so I have lots of ball caps. I do keep greasy cloths separate from going out cloths so I'm not ruining nice stuff. Not much on holes, patch my own jeans, pitch any t-shirts that get a hole. Cloths are cheap, no sense looking ghetto.

My Sons have a very good friend who is heavily tattoo'd and he wanted to get a job in their industry (property management). He had always worked as a laborer but hurt his back and wanted an inside job. My Sons coached him, got him to wear long sleeves for the interviews and he got the job. Maybe it is phony and you are not being yourself doing that, but the goal is to put your best foot forward and get the job.

Don

I agree Don. That first impression is always a visual impression. After the person doing the hiring can get to know you and find out what kind of a person you are then you will find you can dress for the job. That is you can dress how you are allowed to for the job. The appearance usually won't get a person the job, but it can be a deterrent from getting the job.

I still believe that if you look the part,

your chances to get hired are that much better....meaning.....clean cut, piercings out for the interview, tat's covered and at least casual dress, nice slacks, not jeans, button down shirt and either a jacket or sweater....something comfortable but conservative.....avoid slang phrases and speak intelligently.....be able to write a decent application and have a resume handy if they want it...being able to provide work experience's is good and if you have the resume, you won't leave anything out trying to muddle your way thru it....nothing worse that being asked a question and all you can say is "ahhhhhh"...because you don't remember...also, if you don't understand something...ask .... they'll respect your honesty...all of these are just MHO...:D

been married for 38 years this March and all I wear are car T shirts too. Got a tie for Christmas, how you wear a tie on a T shirt- I do have one other T shirts- A Oklahoma Sooner shirt!

Latest posts

Back