Coilover question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranny

I found a pair of coilovers at a swap meet this weekend. Guy said he took them off his roadster and the spring weight is 200lbs. Will this hold up my 27 dodge 4 door sedan?

Attachments

• coilovers.jpg
    coilovers.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Dodge%20side.jpg
    Dodge%20side.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 24
I guess the question would be, how much does your 27 Dodge 4 Door Sedan weight? Will it hold up all the weight, I don't think so to be on the safe side but that's just my personal opinion and dealings with silly import cars.

Who manufactured your shocks? if you can find any #s or a name check known coil over mfg.'s I would talk to them they can help you out, If not maybe some one on here can help you. There's more involved then just the weight of your car.

Springs are rated by each inch they're compressed that said, the 200# springs you have will be at 400# by the time you compress them 2 ".
I'd try them before I spent any money for heavier ones :)

You will have to have 2 more at 130# to 140# for the rear cause just 2 won't hold up your car [ddd

Springs are rated by each inch they're compressed that said, the 200# springs you have will be at 400# by the time you compress them 2 ".
I'd try them before I spent any money for heavier ones :)

You will have to have 2 more at 130# to 140# for the rear cause just 2 won't hold up your car [ddd

So 2 sets of coilovers? I see lots of rigs with just one set of coilovers holding up there rearends, unless i'm miss reading your reply.

Just bein a smart Aleck about needing more than 2 springs to hold up a complete car :)
One set of springs for the front and one set of springs for the rear

lol, ok thought you knew something i didn't. This is my first ground up build so be carfull i might go and believe ya on something.

lol, ok thought you knew something i didn't. This is my first ground up build so be carfull i might go and believe ya on something.

With that coil over setup though you're going to need a Four Link setup and a panhard bar I believe, I had this discussion with Don about it and thats what he said becuase you need to keep the rear end centered and in line.

Speepway Motors has a chart in their street catalog that gives the average weight of 20's thru 40's cars, and lists the best match spring for a coilover. Don't have my catalog handy or I'd look it up for ya.

Speepway Motors has a chart in their street catalog that gives the average weight of 20's thru 40's cars, and lists the best match spring for a coilover. Don't have my catalog handy or I'd look it up for ya.

Thanks ! I'll have to try and find one.

With that coil over setup though you're going to need a Four Link setup and a panhard bar I believe, I had this discussion with Don about it and thats what he said becuase you need to keep the rear end centered and in line.

I was wanting to do a triangulated 4 link with these coilovers. like pictured

Attachments

• 4 link.jpg
    4 link.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 13
I don't know anything, that's what makes me so dangerous ;)
Sometimes my humor is slightly off center, well maybe far enough of center that I couldn't hit the side of a barn :eek: :)
The triangular 4 link will work great and no panhard needed ;)

Latest posts

Back