computer geek hot rodders...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
I was drawing with the computer last night, and did some computer pinstriping. I enjoy the challange of learning a new way of doing things. But it got me thinking. I know there are some great artists on this site, Pablo, Rodding Ron, and some others too, What I got to thinking was how much computers, and the internet have changed the way we hot rod. Not to mention Maddog's 3d computer stuff.
And, I would not have virtually met you guys, if not for the internet. The hot rod scene locally is picking up, but has been pretty stale for a while here. Getting on the internet has kept the spark alive for me. I read Pablo's post to Don about the number of forums he attends. I have to say, I am on too many, and I have given up on keeping up totally with any of them except RRR.
My internet connection was down over the last weekend, and it was as bad as loosing the electricity or water or something like that. My back is starting to get healed up, so it means less time on the key board. Good, or bad, I don't know.

bucket25.jpg

This one was never on paper.... seems odd to me.

Just rambling today......your thoughts?

Thanks to the computer I've been able to get stuff for some of my projects that I probably never would have found otherwise. Like you I've always looked for "other ways" (read that as new ways or as an easier way) of doing things, and back in the late 80's got one of the first vinyl cutting machines....a Gerber Sign maker with a few basic fonts and symbols for making lettering. I figured it would be easier and faster to do the small lettering with the computer then to do it by hand. I still did the main logos (or race car numbers) by hand and airbrush, but used the 'puter for the small stuff. Unbelievable how much it sped things up. BUT the down side of the computer was that within a couple of years it became affordable for everybody and his brother to get into the sign business, which made it tougher to make a living. I still have more fun sitting at the drawing board with a pencil and paper then anything, but use the differnt programs to help enhance and tweek some of the drawings.

I actually got my first "home" computer about 92 or 93...all 286 processing speed of it, so I could learn more of these new fangled things...I guess you could say I've been trapped ever since.

Fast forward to today, and I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a computer as part of my world. It's led to the ability to talk to and share a passion or hobby with people from all over the world....since places like this have popped up, in addition to the parts resources mentioned above.

Like yourself and several others out there, this is the one place that everyone seems to get along and just enjoy this cool hobby of ours. I do check in on the other places from time to time, and I have a few tech articles I've subscribed to, but I keep coming back here first and then again after checking the others.

So as far as the car...I think it needs to be built with me sitting in the drivers seat when its done. I like it, but I have to many other projects going on, so I think now that your backs getting better you should built it and then give it to me :D

Well as much as I resist modern electronic technology, I have to admit that I spend quite a bit of time with the computer on. My shop is not at my house, and I have a hectic work schedule, so my time working on the cars is primarily limited to the weekends. So during the week, the internet gives me a chance to get my hot rod fix and check in with my pals that I've met online. I lurk on several forums but for the most part, I only really post here. Occasionally I'll drop a post elsewhere if I think I have a useful answer to someone's question.

As far as using the computer for anything such as cad design or art, I would be so lost that my brain would melt.

Hey Bonehead, that car you made is cool.

Here is another one I did. You guys get what I am talking about, I really never thought much about what computers have done for hot rodding.

stripefivej.jpg

I'm 62 and didn't own a cell phone till I was 60, and only got one because my Ex wife got me one for Christmas a couple years ago.........that shows you how much I like modern electronic gadgets. :p I didn't own a computer until about 4 years ago and when I got it home from the computer store I didn't even take it out of the box for two weeks because I was afraid I would mess it up hooking it all up!

Today I am certainly no computer genius by any means, but it has become a very important part of my everyday life. It is the first thing I turn on in the morning as I am heading for the bathroom, and the last thing I turn off at night before bed. For a while I was addicted to Ebay, but have gotten over that , thank God. Now these forums are my entertainment, and I rarely watch TV anymore because of it. Just tonight I wanted to cook some spareribs for Dan and I, so I looked up spareribs and found tons of great recipes.

What a boon to rodding and the car hobby computers have been. Where else could you log on and find so many knowledgable people who literally can solve almost any problem or answer any question you might have? We used to have to rely on what we knew ourselves or what we learned from hot rod magazines. I think it has also created a whole new generation of youngsters who are digging this stuff because of what they see on their monitors. Look at the tight friendships we have all developed with one another, even though most of us will never get to meet each other.

Home computers have to be at the top of the list of the greatest inventions of all time IMO. Now if I could only figure out how to get messages out of my cell phone.:eek::D

Don

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I use the computer a lot to research and find parts. I would have trouble without it. I pick up the local car traders almost every week and there is rarely any kind of old car parts in them. It would be very hard for me to find vintage type parts and such without the internet due to lack of resourses in my local area.

I'm 62 and didn't own a cell phone till I was 60, and only got one because my Ex wife got me one for Christmas a couple years ago.........that shows you how much I like modern electronic gadgets. :p I didn't own a computer until about 4 years ago and when I got it home from the computer store I didn't even take it out of the box for two weeks because I was afraid I would mess it up hooking it all up!

Today I am certainly no computer genius by any means, but it has become a very important part of my everyday life. It is the first thing I turn on in the morning as I am heading for the bathroom, and the last thing I turn off at night before bed. For a while I was addicted to Ebay, but have gotten over that , thank God. Now these forums are my entertainment, and I rarely watch TV anymore because of it. Just tonight I wanted to cook some spareribs for Dan and I, so I looked up spareribs and found tons of great recipes.

What a boon to rodding and the car hobby computers have been. Where else could you log on and find so many knowledgable people who literally can solve almost any problem or answer any question you might have? We used to have to rely on what we knew ourselves or what we learned from hot rod magazines. I think it has also created a whole new generation of youngsters who are digging this stuff because of what they see on their monitors. Look at the tight friendships we have all developed with one another, even though most of us will never get to meet each other.

Home computers have to be at the top of the list of the greatest inventions of all time IMO. Now if I could only figure out how to get messages out of my cell phone.:eek::D

Don

I could have written that same comment too. What a wonderful invention. But on the flip side if I would have had it when I was a kid would I have been out there welding stuff together to make hotrods?
I still hate the cell phone and mine lays on the counter unless I am on a road trip.

it has its place

My computer has helped in a lot of ways, but i still miss the in person BS sessions around cars. I like to BS in person, I hate talking on the phone and typing gets old. I am looking forward to this summer and gettin gout to some car shows and meet people in person, and check out the cars.

My son has an X-box, and even as I am typing this he is up in his room palying guitar hero. if you are not aware of the game it has replaced the tennis racket as the new air guitar. you watch the screen while music plays and hit the buttons in time. I am not sure if my son is just not a creative person, or the computer has robbed him of his ability to use his imagination. He looks at my truck and all the old car parts I have and sees rusty car parts. dont get me wrong, My son is very smart, 3.90 student and takes all honor level math, but he thinks differnet then i do, he has a lot more of his mother in him. He will do well in the computer age. the bottom line the biggest geek in the world is also one of the most powerfull people in the world, Bill Gates, hell I am using his product to tell you how bad his product is LOL:D

My daughter on the other hand draws all the time, she has been very happy that I have taken on the Rat Fink project at RRR. she comes into my den and takes the drawings back to her room to trace them and re color them. she is only 6, I guess i will have to try to indoctrnate her in the ways of hot rodding, if it is still around in 20 years.:(

I think I will turn off the box and go out to the garage and do some welding.

Pablo

double edged sword

I read this thread and agree on many points. Sometimes it feels like, "gee, why didn't this exist 20 years ago? I could have made some coin selling stuff, instead of throwing it away every time we relocated." Or the wealth of information on the internet. Rustywrench scored not one, but two SHO engines and cars. First question was, "Can it be converted to RWD?" A half an hour of searching the internet, and reply was, "Yes, and it is not too difficult, either!" So we saved the engines and wiring harnesses for future projects (or resale, whichever comes first!). Ten years ago, it would have been very difficult to find that info out, much less to the detail that I did.

I really appreciate this forum and the community that it fosters. We may not meet in person (Annual RRR convention, anyone?) but we have become friends. Thanks everyone!

Oh, and while my 20 year old son has yet to get his drivers license :confused: my 9 year old daughter loves to be outdoors and wants to drive a Jr. Dragster! She has already struck her first arc, and (occasionally) wants to help me with the car projects. There is yet hope, but what happened to the boys??

440shorty

Latest posts

Back