Computer guys, need info.......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I've had some really strange stuff showing up on my computer this past week or so. I had to do a total destructive recovery that turned my computer basically into what it was the day I bought it because it wouldn't start up......some nasty virus got in there. That was a few weeks ago and all has been fine. However, the other day I opened my email and there was one in there from my Son Dan, so I opened it. It was some spam, so I deleted it.

Then last night I turned my computer on and a screen came up for Norton AntiVirus saying they had blocked an attack from Dodgerodder, which is my Sons user name on the HAMB. I called him into my room to see what it was saying, and he didn't understand it either. How do these idiots get his info to attack my computer? Has anyone else had this happen?

Don

It sounds like your son's computer has been "hijacked". You should have him or yourself run some sort of anti-virus/malware/spyware program on his computer. That should fix it. If he continues to send you spam then you haven't fixed the problem and your computer could become infected if it communicates with his computer.

Also, for future reference always, always back up your computer with an external hard drive. You can get em on the cheap and this will save you the heartbreak of losing important files/pictures.

Hope that helps.

They have managed to get into your email address list and are using those because you trust those names, and they know it. They're using them to regain access. I used Norton Antivirus for about 7 years, but I had to give up the Norton system because of the same kind of problems. Norton just seemed to be letting more and more of the bad stuff through. I used to buy Norton's system so I would have the protection. Now I buy the top antivirus AVG offers (for three years now) because it's automatically updated constantly with antivirus, anti rootkit, spam filters, email filters, and about 6 more anti something or others in there. No problems at all, knock on wood!! I don't know enough to be able to save myself all the grief these yo-yo's can cause, so I buy the best I can and let anti guys do their thing.

Last edited:
I know that some of my friend's email accounts have been hijacked before. I received email from them that was spam and they didn't actually send it. It was sent from their email without their knowledge. Maybe that's what happened to Dan's email and now maybe your computer is blocking him out as a result?

After losing a couple of expensive laptops to viruses I switched to a Mac when they started using Intel chips. Wish I had the good sense to have done it before I lost those laptops. Microsoft sucks! :eek:

Toad

I had my info hacked on another forum and it uses your IP to hack your computers address book and can send emails to other address's or like with you - it hacked his info - backed tracked to his IP - hacked his address book - got your address and sent you a email. Just keep your guard up and always have some form of internet protection.

All of what you guys have said makes sense. Dan uses the name Dodgerodder on the HAMB and evidently someone picked up on that and started using his name to contact me. Dan never sends me emails (his bedroom is down the hall from mine, so we just yell at each other. :D) so when I saw an email from him with "no subject" I got suspicious, but opened it anyway, thinking he might have sent me some of his car pictures or something. It wasn't from him at all. Then that attack that was blocked also came from him.

What is the point of all of these idiots doing this stuff? How do they gain anything, other than screwing up another persons computer? The internet is a terrific but sometimes weird place. :mad:

Don

What is the point of all of these idiots doing this stuff? How do they gain anything, other than screwing up another persons computer? The internet is a terrific but sometimes weird place. :mad:

Don[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either Don![S I don't understand what someone gets out of destroying another's computer. Maybe there's something I don't know!:(...CR

Ya know Bonehead, that could be true. I know I occasionally get some popup from a company telling me I am infected and can get a free scan, but that popup won't go away by just clicking on the X. It is like a virus itself.

Whatever is the reason, I really hate them.

Don

Yep... I'm a Mac guy too. I used to lose 10-15 Windoze computers in my real estate business a year but have never gotten a single virus on my Mac. Come up into the 80's & switch!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

I do agree, our Mac has never had a virus and has rarely froze, but I do despise it for other reasons. We run Windows in a Virtual Machine on our Mac-book .... it crashes and you have to do a virtual reboot. :rolleyes:

As for viruses on PC's, first off, don't use Microsoft stuff if you can avoid it. Use a 3rd party browser, e-mail client, virus scanner, etc. Microsoft is notoriously bad for having huge holes in their code that hackers can take advantage of.

Latest posts

Back