computer rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I am pretty challanged about computers but learning(slowly) I know my computer has been infected for quite a while. I had it in to the shop a couple times to the tune of almost $300 and it is still sick. I haven't been able to open a pdf or use real player for a long time because it just starts blacking out. Lately it has to close because of problems and I have to reboot. Tonight it wouldn't open the browser, locked up and I rebooted to find my bookmarks totally gone. I did a system restore and that didn't get them back. I am running an outdated version of Mozilla because I can't download a new version with this "problem" or any version of free cleanup sofrware.

Try doing a system restore from about 3 months before your computer took ill.

I had the same problem with a computer when I was in Afghanistan and eventually found a "Worm Virus", Put it on quarantine and was eventually able to remove "The Worm".

Mac's rule!

MAC ftw man i love mine and have never had a problem for 2 years now!! and the wife runs windows on the mac using parallels so you cant lose!

Been usin' Mac's for 20+ years... never any problems! Am forced to use PC's in my business & problems ALL the time. 1000's of viruses, trojans & worms for PC's.... 0 for Mac's! Get a Mac... u'll *never* go back!!!

BoB

can not beat Mac. My girl friend bought a Hp about a year ago. Eat four hard drives and just went down over the weekend again. Got to ship it back Again.

if you have a cable connection they my have a free virus scan. You need to call them. I know RCN does. They use Mcafee

Last edited:
I just surprised myself by getting rid of 155 viruses (YES 155!!!) that invaded my computer while I was pulling up job listings and recipes (don't ask :rolleyes:) Anyway, my Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware wouldn't touch them so I did what is called a non destructive recovery and it not only got rid of them all, but my computer had been locking up regularly for the past two years, and that stopped happening too.

Go into you help section and type in non destructive recovery and it will guide you. You will not lose any stored data except for favorites, but your pictures and all stay intact. Do not do a destructive recovery as it turns your computer into what it was the day you took it out of the box..........everything disappears.

The only thing I lost was the sound in my speakers, so I can't play videos any more, but I will figure that out too, given enough time.

Don

I just surprised myself by getting rid of 155 viruses (YES 155!!!) that invaded my computer while I was pulling up job listings and recipes (don't ask :rolleyes:) Anyway, my Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware wouldn't touch them so I did what is called a non destructive recovery and it not only got rid of them all, but my computer had been locking up regularly for the past two years, and that stopped happening too.

Go into you help section and type in non destructive recovery and it will guide you. You will not lose any stored data except for favorites, but your pictures and all stay intact. Do not do a destructive recovery as it turns your computer into what it was the day you took it out of the box..........everything disappears.

The only thing I lost was the sound in my speakers, so I can't play videos any more, but I will figure that out too, given enough time.

Don

OK, when I open help in the toolbar I don't see anyplace to type in anything.

Reboot your computer, as it is coming back up hit the F? key(not sure what number but you will see it)to run in safe mode. This will allow you to operate programs and browser to download or open programs to zap any virusus.

get a portable HD and copy all files that u dont want to lose(pics, music, etc.) and format your hard disk and reinstall windows...thats what i did...works everytime :)

then when u have fresh windows, burn windows folder onto dvd so that every time your comp starts to act up just copy/paste that burned win folder over a existing one and voila...new windows again:) thats a tried out tehnique and it works...

get a portable HD and copy all files that u dont want to lose(pics, music, etc.) and format your hard disk and reinstall windows...thats what i did...works everytime :)

then when u have fresh windows, burn windows folder onto dvd so that every time your comp starts to act up just copy/paste that burned win folder over a existing one and voila...new windows again:) thats a tried out tehnique and it works...

Won't the files carry the corruption onto the other HD?

nope...curruption is in windows folder...all malware, trojans, viruses etc. infect that area, windows operating files, thats why your comp acts up, not because some mp3 file is currupt:)...sometimes virus protection software is responsible for windows being currupt because they detect virus or whatever in windows folder, then u delete it and windows cant function with that infected file...hope u know what i mean...
just dont copy your current windows folder onto portable HD and you will be ok.

also, trojan remover software is good for finding all the crap on your PC...
hope i helped!

Latest posts

Back