Considering a new project with an old Honda 750cc 4-bang motorcycle engine!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Ok... now that I see the lite @ the end of the tunnel on my '41 & with gas prices SO dang high I've been considering building a roadster with an old 30's Mopar cowl & other parts powered by an old Honda 750cc 4-bang. I've brought this up B4 & since these bikes don't have a reverse Don suggested I use an electric motor for backing up. The more I think about it... the more I like the idea. I personally don't see gas prices coming down much from these levels so I'm seriously thinking about going forward once I get my new garage built. I saw a high school auto mechanics shop project that did this but stupidly I didn't save the pictures. It's always a pain to rebuild & sync the old carbs so I'm thinking about building my own intake & using a small 2 or 4 barrel carb instead.

BoB

I hear you about those gas prices. I think you have an interesting idea. And I hope you build it because it's a cool idea and not because of gas prices. I have three hot rods and they see very few miles. Not that I don't want to take a long road trip, but I just don't. When I travel in the summer, I very seldom see a hot rod on the open road. So I assume most hot rods (there are some) are not daily drivers. Yes gas is expensive but I will make the sacrifice for my hot rods. Don't let the price of gas be the motivator.

If my memory serves me correctly those old 750-4's didn't get all that great gas mileage :confused: but then again it might have had something to do with keeping them in tune like you mentioned [S:eek:
I wouldn't let that stop me though, I'd do it just to be different if nothing else [ddev
A cool carb for your home made intake might be one of the Holley 2-Stage Two Barrels like came on the Vega GT's......or maybe a couple of'em......then it'd be back to syncing carbs again :rolleyes:
I'm diggin' the idea......maybe 3/4 scale..... around 1200 lbs......just thinking outloud:D

Go for it [cl[cl

truckster

yea, l have had that idea kickin' around in my head for about 10 years or so to build something different.

4 years ago l got a 1960 cushman truckster in a trade and a 750 V-45 magna honda bike. the goal is the 750 in the cushman for a "trike" type toy.

problem is , 4 other projects in front of it:( so it's on hold for a little longer.

plans are 8 3/4 mopar rear-end, 18'' M/T street slicks, wheelie bars and wing sticking outta the bed.

l will do a build thread when l start on it, may move it up a notch or two on the list.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• coushman1.jpg
    coushman1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 14
  • coushman2.jpg
    coushman2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 15
  • coushmen 001.jpg
    coushmen 001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 01 outside 042.jpg
    01 outside 042.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 01 outside 043.jpg
    01 outside 043.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
dwarf-legend car

could always find a dwarf-legend car and make it street legal, been done in several states, so may be not to hard to title in your'e state.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• dwarf car 028.jpg
    dwarf car 028.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 26
  • dwarf car 037.jpg
    dwarf car 037.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 27
  • legendracer2.jpg
    legendracer2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 3nf3ma3o85W35P45X6a5q7dc3fe0dc0ba1e39.jpg
    3nf3ma3o85W35P45X6a5q7dc3fe0dc0ba1e39.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 26
  • legendracer.jpg
    legendracer.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 31
  • street legal legend car.jpg
    street legal legend car.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3nd3kb3p55V15Z15U1a5q0195286322c8196d.jpg
    3nd3kb3p55V15Z15U1a5q0195286322c8196d.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 19
maybe 3/4 scale..... around 1200 lbs......just thinking outloud:D

Yep... the cowl I have is pretty narrow but I'm thinkin' about trimmin' it down a lil more... might even wind up being a one seater. Suicide front end & buggy spring out back... maybe sorta lakester style but old style bike powered! Always liked the look of the 750! :D

BoB

Great idea. It would make a cool one seat speedster style. Some of the Harleys used an electric motor to back up with the side car, something like that would work.
I had a build article on a fuel mileage car. It was some small british car, about 1200#. The guy kept the transmission and clutch and hooked a 3 cylinder 17 horse Kubota diesel up via a pvt (think snowmobile belt). He claimed it got about 75 in town and 100 on the open road. The pvt multiplys the torque 4-5 times when taking off then upshifts as you build speed. So you can run a smaller engine and have the torque you need to get rolling.

China is releasing a car through VW next year. Single cylinder diesel, one seater that gets 258 mpg. The car is suppose to cost $600. Top speed is 76 mph and is supposedly built like a GT car.

China is releasing a car through VW next year. Single cylinder diesel, one seater that gets 258 mpg. The car is suppose to cost $600. Top speed is 76 mph and is supposedly built like a GT car.

that sounds fine, but by the time the goverment and the EPA get done with it,it'll get 30 mpg and cost $28,000:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This bike engine idea is something I've thought of for a long time, especially since I've been working on my golf cart project. I thought that the transverse mounted shaft drive bike engines would be well suited to front engine mini hot rod use - Honda Gold Wing flat fours or sixes, Honda 500 V-twin, BMW flat twin or for Italian flavour, MotoGuzzi V-Twin. The Gold wing trikes would be a cinch to build up since they have a rearend already matched to the engine / tranny.

There was a 3/4 size 32 ford roadster at run to sun show this year that had a harley engine.
I personally will have to stick with full size cars.I am near 6 feet and weigh over 350 pounds,so I will never fit in any mini car.I have enough trouble fitting in my brothers hyundai.
However,If you want to try and build it,go for it.Thats what rodding is all about.[;)

VW

About the VW that was mentioned by gasersgarage...The car is a two seater, the mileage is supposedly 232 on a 1 liter tank..the car only weighs 660 pounds`..but there is NO WAY it will cost $600

There was a 'glass '32 ford roadster on e-bay about a month ago that had a 750cc goldwing engine. In the ad was a pic of a Pop. Mechanics article from the 90's that I understood the widow's hubby had built his from.

The thing went for under $4k....I've been kicking myself of not going after it. Not exactly what I'm hoping to find but, would have been an affordable driver and he did a nice job on it.

I am in the process of building a trike from a '73 moto guzzi. With a different front end it could be a wicked little car. I trashed the guzzi transmission and hooked up a dodge truck tranny. I used a really small fly wheel from a diahatsu The toughest part was the bell housing. You could easily machine (or have it machined) an extension rod that attached to the crankshaft to get some distance from the motor if you need to.(like the corvette rear transmission)
You are only limited by your imagination. Ability(or lack of) only gets in the way. Of corse I haven't finished it (the trike) yet, but it seams to be comming along.

Latest posts

Back