Contemplating design options for '46 Dodge COE build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubularFab

Ok, I am in the very early stages of working out a plan of attack on this project. I bought this truck from an old country guy in about 1996 and it looked like this:
46dodgecoer.jpg

I knew it wasn't in nearly as nice shape as it appeared, but it was a good deal so I went for it. It was pretty much all original with a recent paint job. Idled like a new engine, but didn't have enough power to get out of its own way - specially when warmed up. I later discovered 4 burned exhaust valves and 2 places where the head gasket was blown between cylinders. I also discovered the previous owner had sandblasted the outside of the truck without covering up anything mechanical, shoved bondo in all the rusted out areas, and painted it. I found the sand stuck to anything that was greasy - engine, tranny, suspension, etc with a nice amount of overspray over it all. Anyway, I played with it some over a few years then removed the flathead and tranny in the late 90's. At that time I happened to have a Chevy 6.2 diesel, so I fit it to the truck. I never drove it on the road with that engine, and haven't done much of anything with the truck since then. Here are some pics after removing the bed and even one after getting the 6.2 in it. Without realizing it I had a ratrod look going on then with the cab clamped to the middle of the frame.

cabandchassisr.jpg

cabandchassis2r.jpg

cabandchassis3r.jpg

cabandchassis4r.jpg

Needless to say, 10 years of sitting with that poor of a paint job has resulted in a lot more rust... It definitely does not look like that any more. My original plan for the truck was to make a ramp back truck to haul my antique flywheel engines, tractor, or even sportscar around. I wanted to keep it as original looking as possible right down to the tall spindly wheels but upgrade the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes to make it a little more reliable and safe. I wanted a diesel engine and manual tranny with as many gears as possible. I was going to build the bed from scratch...

Over the years I did happen to trade the 6.2 diesel for a Detroit Diesel 4-53 turbo project engine. It needs to be rebuilt, but came with all the cylinder kits, gaskets, bearings, etc to do it. I also got the smallest Eaton Roadranger (a 610) 10 speed tranny. You go through the first 5 gears in a normal H pattern, then flip the range switch on the shifter as you start over in 1st gear high. The 4-53T is a 2 stroke 212 cubic inch engine with a rootes supercharger for scavenging action and a turbocharger to push the air in at over atmospheric pressure. I even have some nice big military spec injectors for it that ought to make lots of black smoke.

So, I've recently been thinking about taking a rat rod approch to the truck. I really like the idea of going with the rust patina look and have worked out good preservation methods over rust with my antique flywheel engines. I kind of want to keep the tallness of the truck - the bottom of the windshield is about 6' off the ground! I also want to retain the big tall wheels and tires - and stay dual on the rear. I'm thinking about going away from the ramp bed and making the truck rather short with a little bed on the back. Might eventually come up with a 5th wheel ramp trailer like from the 50's... I don't think there's much point in chopping the cab as the windows look pretty short in comparison to the overall height...

I like the front fenders since they were specific to cab-overs only. But, retaining them and keeping the tall wheels pretty much prohibits dropping it any. Maybe move them up higher?

Another thought was ditch the fenders and drop the cab as low as possible, then mount the engine right behind the cab since it would no longer go under...

So, while I'm still brainstorming I'd like to hear some opinions of how you might build this thing...

ramp truck

keep the fenders!!

put a nice wooden deck on it, get ya a small truck or find a COE cab, build it rat rodded out to match the patina and haul around on the back, try and find a dodge or something close in body style to match the COE, now that would be cool.

Later:cool:

Dude , That truck is so BIG I would put a box style bed with an open gate and make a 5th wheel hauler out of it . Go with a fat nasty diesel and lots of gears like you planned .

I love it I've been working on buying this one for four years. now the owner passed away. guess I'll have to start all over.

Attachments

• Dodge COE Trk 41 006.jpg
    Dodge COE Trk 41 006.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Dodge COE Trk 41 002.jpg
    Dodge COE Trk 41 002.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm already re-thinking my idea of starting with this truck. I really want to turn it into a serious hauler with long distance capability. I'm thinking I might look for a medium size donor truck for axles and drivetrain - say a minimum of a dt466 international and a roadranger 10 speed.

I think for now I am going to put the COE on hold and just find some other regular cab to build from for my first attempt. One of my goals is to work out a 4" round tube chassis. I did the bending on a set of rails for a retro truck project a couple of years ago, and it turned out really cool. I have dies to bend the 4" OD x 1/8" wall steel tube on a 6" centerline radius with no dimpling or flattening. Here are the rails from that project:

truckframekit.jpg

They went together something like this:
truckframe.jpg

So, I just need to find a donor cab...

I love them old COEs....

Im sure you can find a different cab easy, that frame is going to be awesome

I looks like the COE cab is about the same as a PU cab, just a different hood/fenders/grill???

PA41

Latest posts

Back