Converter-lockup or not

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldos_1

Well to start i just finished my project 1953 cab on a 2x4 frame , its a mild sbc350 with a big cam ,but it was free ,its a comp-292 with 501, 505 lift, the trans is a 700R4 with 373 gears witch i just changed last week ,it burns the tires a little faster but it is dead out the hole and this thing might weight 1500 lbs maybe ,i have a holley 650 carb ,the converter is stock from the donor truck it doesent kill when i put it in drive but you know its in gear,ok so i know i need a stall but should i use a lock-up or non lock-up im thinking of going with a 3000 stall to get it to rev fast from takeoff ,ok i love to do bad burnouts,so what do yall think, i know this thing should smoke the tires for a mile ,but this is the first 700R4 i own.

A stall convertor will help. If the motor is basically stock but the cam I would not use a lock up. The lift that cam has probably means it has a long duration also and the motor needs to rev to make any power. With the convertor locked up the motor will lug trying to maintain highway speeds. In a perfect world the compression would be upped to around 10.5:1 and a 3 speed auto with a stall convertor would make the truck a tire roaster even if you jumped on the loud pedal at 30 mph. How tall are the rear tires? you can use an online calculator to find what rpm the motor will be at with the trans and gears you have. I think you will find that the rpms will be too low with the overdrive tranny and the big cam if you use a lock up convertor. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back