Cookin a Deere

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

Farm livin!!

This combine went up close to my place yesterday. They are bad for burning this time of year.

About $300,000. Makes ya believe in insurance.

PA41

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 83
Wow, great pictures. I watched one go when I was a kid, but back then, they were about $25,000.
The fire department got there in time to save the wheat field, but let the combine burn, because by then, the wheat was more valuable.

Bearings that get dry and over heat are the biggest cause. It's when it drops flames and sparks into the discharge straw as they go along the field, and don't know until they turn around for another pass and spot the big long fire. It's right about then, that they figured out they are on fire too. By then, you just know it's going to a bad day.:(

I was watching this new show called "harvest" all about these guys that run combine crews harvesting wheat. They said most of the fires happen when the dry stuff hits the 1500 degree turbo.

I would bet that turbo would start a fire or two...

I was watching this new show called "harvest" all about these guys that run combine crews harvesting wheat. They said most of the fires happen when the dry stuff hits the 1500 degree turbo.

Not a farmer but I would think that they (manufacturer) would do more to isolate the engine and such from the harvesting sections....that dust has to be plenty flammable.....:eek:

Sarge, that dust touches off like non-dairy creamer sprinkled on an open flame.

We're right smack in the middle of the grain belt here. When its dry, there's a big cloud of chaff and dust surrounding the machine, it gets into everything. Poor maintenance or an unexpected failure is all it takes. :eek:

Love the metaphore....

"that dust touches off like non-dairy creamer sprinkled on an open flame." I'll have to try that...lol

I can only imagine it's like saw dust....don't want an unmaintained piece of equipment in the field I would guess? Ton of money to go up in flames...

One of my neighbors round baler done the same thing several years ago.
He drove it back to the house with hot grease dripping all the way, set the field and all the big bales that were already done on fire.

Jim

That would definitely make for a bad day..I've known of a couple that burnt due to a bearing failure..

....don't want an unmaintained piece of equipment in the field I would guess?

Dad had a 2 row picker on a Oliver 88 that went up in flames. He said the debris would always get stuck next the exhaust, turn to embers, then just float off. Just how it was back then, farming wasn't for sissies. About 1/2 way through the 4th or 5th year one ember didn't float off. Rebuilt the Oliver and even still uses it a little now.

from someone raised on a farm, only one word to describe that feeling after looking at that..... "sickening!" i agree w/all u guys have said, it could be dust build up in bad places, could be bearing failure, who knows.... got to keep your eyes on alot of "stuff" around a combine... way too many moving parts!

BTW good to see ya PA--been wondering how the rat-building has been for ya...haven't seen ya in a while...

Had that happen a couple of miles away two years ago. A few weeks later there was about a half dozen other farmers bringing in the crops for the guy. The majority of farm folks are like that.

phitter, real farmers are like real hotrodders--never met anther of their kind that they wouldn't help...no matter the cost:cool:

good to hear a reminder of it, though![cl

Latest posts

Back