cooling

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

over the hill

I am putting a 500 caddy in a rat. I know the radiator that fits the shell will not cool it. My plan is to use the small radiator then plumb back to the box and lay down another radiator with an electric fan pulling air up. Does this plan sound like it will work? Thanks

you can put a radiator wherever you want so long as it can get air -- but you may want to consider other options -- im pretty sure you can find a radiator that would fit and cool all at the same time -
what year is the engine?

Post up some pictures of your shell. How much room do you have width and height? You might have to spring for a custom made radiator, which will set you back maybe $ 400-$ 700, but there is nothing worse than an overheating hot rod.

The radiator in my 27 is extremely small because I chopped a 32 grille shell 8.5 inches to make it fit. Walker Radiators refused to build me a radiator because they said it wouldn't cool. I had the BrassWorks build me one and it worked fine. I paid $ 700 for that one 20 years ago, so they are probably more now.

Consider an aluminum one. We have started buying ours from PRC and the price is reasonable, they cool better than copper IMO, and they will custom make one to your specs. Good people too.

Don

The 500 caddy is a 1976, is stock so its not a high compression engine. It would be nice to just call and get one custom made, but I will do this with what I have or can trade for. True 50s Hot Rod style. Thats when I grew up , Back in the day!!

radiator

Alum. rad is the only way to go, they cool better than a brass or copper rad. all day. not as high as you think. the 65 mustang rad. will fit just about any grill shell and will cool big motors. check out ebay item # 250681629493

The 500 caddy is a 1976, is stock so its not a high compression engine. It would be nice to just call and get one custom made, but I will do this with what I have or can trade for. True 50s Hot Rod style. Thats when I grew up , Back in the day!!

Well, a 1976 Caddy 500 and electric fans aren't exactly true 50's hot rod style are they? [S Don has a good point - there is nothing worse than overheating in a hot rod, or any car for that matter. Nothing is more of a PITA than a car that won't keep it's cool, nor more detrimental to an engine's lifespan. I know eveyone is on a budget, but sometimes saving for a little while and spending a few bucks is worth WAY more in the end, both in time & money saved and enjoyment of your vehicle!

Latest posts

Back