Copper trans tunnel?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Always liked the look of copper, thinking about covering the trans tunnel in some copper sheet (floor will be wood). I know it won't be very strong, but won't need to be. And I'll have to screw or rivet it together....

What else am I not thinking of (aka why is this not a good idea). Anyone know what kind of store sells it?

Always liked the look of copper, thinking about covering the trans tunnel in some copper sheet (floor will be wood). I know it won't be very strong, but won't need to be. And I'll have to screw or rivet it together....

What else am I not thinking of (aka why is this not a good idea). Anyone know what kind of store sells it?
What are you gonna do use copper roof flashing? You could also make a removeable tunnel out of sheet steel, do some finish work to smooth things out or leave your work visable, then bring it to a chrome shop. They usually use a copper bath dip during the chroming process.........

I think it would be a cool detail done....

sheet steel, do some finish work to smooth things out or leave your work visable, then bring it to a chrome shop. They usually use a copper bath dip during the chroming process.......QUOTE]

Now THAT is a good idea! Best of both worlds - I'll def check into that.

Then I guess I can hit it with a clear coat to keep it from tarnishing:cool:

I like you idea of the copper trans tunnel. My brother-in-law owns a continuous gutter business and they do a lot of copper gutters on high end houses. It is 26 gauge solid copper coil. If you can find some one in that biz that does copper they would probably sell you some of it. If not and you decide to go with it I can get my hands on some and ship it to you.

Thanks for the tip and generous offer - I'll do some checking around....

May be too $$$ but worth a look anyway

I use alot of it. Copper has come down in the past three months, but has gone back up lately. (16 oz) 10 foot X 3 ft. sheets just cost me $115.00 each last week.

Plumbing supply, industrial supply, roofing supply, you really have to make some calls, then when they say "no we don't carry it" ask them who does.

A sub frame for the tunnel would work well and double as a drive shaft hoop.

sheet steel, do some finish work to smooth things out or leave your work visable, then bring it to a chrome shop. They usually use a copper bath dip during the chroming process.......QUOTE]

Now THAT is a good idea! Best of both worlds - I'll def check into that.

Then I guess I can hit it with a clear coat to keep it from tarnishing:cool:

No problem. Glad to help.:D

I will check into both ideas. Thinking either copper plated steel or steel with copper riveted over it. I like the look of rivets too.

I'd like to let it tarnish to the point where its a dark copper color, but not all the way to green.

A roofing supply place would probably be your best source for copper flashing. I guess the gauge of copper will effect the cost too. If your just going use it to cover steel you won't need anything really thick. I bet it'll still run you some bucks though. Copper is high! I'm sure it'll look cool. I've always wanted to use brass sheet myself. The Model A rat featured in the most recent OSR mag. has a complete brass sheet interior. I've actually seen that car before here in Nashville and it does add a cool flare to it.

Thunder

Latest posts

Back