Coupe project in Oregon

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperTed

Hello there. I'm in southern Oregon and just picked up a '38 Plymouth Coupe P6. It's pretty complete and fairly solid aside from rust in the lower corners. No motor or tranny, so I'll probably put in a SBC with TH350 just to keep it simple. I know some of you die-hards cringe at the thought of if, but it's my first hot rod project and I think I'll keep it simple and low budget with readily accessible SBC stuff.

So whaddyathink? I'd like to upgrade the brakes (on a budget), but keep the front suspension geometry the same. And any idea of a good rear end that would swap over easily? Thanks for the $.02 and I'll be sure to keep my progress posted.

P5270026.JPG

Welcome to RRR. That is a sweet car. I like the SBC just fine, cheap and reliable power. I would measure the rear and go to the junkyard, but I think a S10 rear is close and can be gotten with a limited slip rear fairly cheap. Hope you enjoy it here, it is a nice group with lots of knowledge. I see that you are in Oregon also, I am in Eastern Oregon. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to join in.

Welcome to the site. I put a ford 9" in a 37 Plymouth worked out nice. Also put a 1977 ply volary rear end in a 47 DeSoto that was a perfect fit. lots of mearsuring pays off. Good luck, I'm a MoPar freak so I would encourage a small block mopar. Cheaper than you think. Yes if you want to get fancy, (Chrome, etc.) cost shoots up. I'm not a big fan of chrome although my 66 Charger has its share. my Ply. coupe has none!! Enjoy the site.

Welcome to the site. I put a ford 9" in a 37 Plymouth worked out nice. Also put a 1977 ply volary rear end in a 47 DeSoto that was a perfect fit. lots of mearsuring pays off. Good luck, I'm a MoPar freak so I would encourage a small block mopar. Cheaper than you think. Yes if you want to get fancy, (Chrome, etc.) cost shoots up. I'm not a big fan of chrome although my 66 Charger has its share. my Ply. coupe has none!! Enjoy the site.

By the way were you be in Oregon, lived for about a mo. in Dallas, Or. looking for work 38 years ago love the place but couldnt find a job so went back to midwest.

I would suggest buying a doner car with most if not all of the parts you'll need, thats the cheapest way to go. You'd be surprised how many parts you can swap over. Welcome to RRR.

Welcome to RRR! Nice project. I'd probably throw in whatever motor and trans combo comes my way. 350/350 is good and cheap though...

Thanks guys! I have a local guy with a 307 sbc and a 350 transmission for $400. Guaranteed to be low miles and to run (or he'll refund my $$). Sounds like a pretty fair deal to me - any thoughts? I know I've been keeping my eye out for a donor car that has a possible rear end I need, brakes, etc. but would have to go crawl under every car with a tape measure to make sure the rear end is the right wheelbase. Anybody know the easiest way to convert to disc brakes without swapping out the entire front clip?

I'm excited about the coupe since it is pretty complete. It has all the glass, grille with hood ornament, all fenders and running boards, dash, gauges, steering wheel with original horn ring, bench seat, etc. etc. I found a cheap set of centerline wheels/tires on craigslist, so now I can at least roll it around by myself (to and from the welder, etc.). Thanks again for all your input!

Hello there. I'm in southern Oregon and just picked up a '38 Plymouth Coupe P6. It's pretty complete and fairly solid aside from rust in the lower corners. No motor or tranny, so I'll probably put in a SBC with TH350 just to keep it simple. I know some of you die-hards cringe at the thought of if, but it's my first hot rod project and I think I'll keep it simple and low budget with readily accessible SBC stuff.

So whaddyathink? I'd like to upgrade the brakes (on a budget), but keep the front suspension geometry the same. And any idea of a good rear end that would swap over easily? Thanks for the $.02 and I'll be sure to keep my progress posted.

P5270026.JPG

Whats up with your 38 Coupe, got any up-date for us on it?

Latest posts

Back