Couple of New Pics of the '27

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmel

Rented a camera (nicer than my shooter) for a photoshoot over the weekend. Wanted to try to squeeze in some time and do a proper photoshoot of my car since she hasn't had one yet. But I was never able to find the time, and only had a few minutes to snap a few pictures at sunset before heading out to meet the wife for date night. Was going to take the roadster (even though it was rather nipply)...but after taking a few shots and driving out, my harmonic balancer decided to part ways with my engine. I may, or may not have been hot-rodding it a little bit, when all of a sudden i heard a lovely "fwap, fwap, fwap, fwap" sound. Killed the engine to find my belt had removed itself - i thought it was broken, but turns out, it wasn't. Was too dark to see what happened, so i nursed it the few miles home praying i didn't overheat the engine to get my daily driver. Luckily, the harmonic balancer got wedged between the engine and the tie-rod and didn't fall all the way through.

Amazing how quickly the engine heats up when it doesn't have a working fan or water pump.

Anywho....long story for a couple of pictures that aren't related to the story.

Attachments

• IMG_7798IIWeb.jpg
    IMG_7798IIWeb.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7803IIWeb.jpg
    IMG_7803IIWeb.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 57
Looks good, but that tall windshield really jumps out at me. Have you considered chopping it in half? Otherwise, I like the look a lot. Sorry JMO.:)

Don

Looks good, but that tall windshield really jumps out at me. Have you considered chopping it in half? Otherwise, I like the look a lot. Sorry JMO.:)

Don

Have thought about it...but for my cruising pleasure, i have decided to keep the window at stock height. I'm 6'3 and am not willing to sacrifice comfort for looks. I like the way a chopped windshield looks, but i also like the way it looks with a stock windsheild height. Car is meant to be enjoyed and driven, I don't want to risk ruining the enjoyment by getting the hell beaten out of me by wind, bugs, and stones.

I live in Texas, and HAVE to cross a large lake to get anywhere i want to go that is worth going. Texas bugs and a lake on a hot humid Texas evening would not make for a pleasant trip across the lake. I've had to stop and clean my windshield after crossing the lake before because i couldn't see through the splattered remains of untold thousands of bugs. That big flat piece of glass plays hell on the local bug population.

Also, to help save me from 108 degree texas summers, I'd like to construct a top as well, and that would prove difficult with a significantly shorter window. I'm toying with the idea of a hinged/fold down window. Initially they had the split window that opens to vent. I'd like to find a window frame at a swap meet and see if i can fabricate a fold down that is still sturdy enough to have up at full height, not have an annoying seam down the middle, and looks good while folded down.

I think that with a flat windshield you could probably cut that thing to just about your top lip and be just fine. If it were slanted towards you, that would be another story. Just giving you my take on it from a bikers stand point. Looks good either way though.

Please understand, I wasn't knocking it, just wondering if you had considered going with a shorter one. Being that tall, I understand. I'm only 5-9, so I tuck behind mine pretty well, but I do get the occasional thump in the noggin from a bug the size of a sparrow.

Could be the camera angle too. Maybe a shot from further away makes it appear different.

Don

Please understand, I wasn't knocking it, just wondering if you had considered going with a shorter one. Being that tall, I understand. I'm only 5-9, so I tuck behind mine pretty well, but I do get the occasional thump in the noggin from a bug the size of a sparrow.

Could be the camera angle too. Maybe a shot from further away makes it appear different.

Don

I know you weren't knocking it. And if you were, thats ok too. I've developed a "if you don't like it, build one of your own" attitude. :p

Oh, and i don't think its the camera angle, it really really is that tall. I went through a phase where i was very close to chopping it, but my wife was putting up a huge fight about letting me. I argued that I had enough room to lower my seat 3-4 inches and could take 3-4 inches off the windshield and i wouldn't notice a difference. Of course, not thinking of the fact that lowing my seat 3-4 inches would put me on the floor making it astronomically more uncomfortable - especially being as tall/big as i am. I'm over it now though - still will look into a folding window, but besides that, i have no interest in chopping it any more.

With that being said, I'd like a '27 Coupe - and if i ever got one, I'd certainly sacrifice comfort for looks on that.

Latest posts

Back